Sounds like an awesomely ideal commute to me.

A 20 minute walk, downhill. As long as you're able-bodied, it's pretty sweet, except in those slushy days from January to mid March. Once you're at Dundas, can duck into the PATH for a slightly longer, but climate-controlled walk. A project like this, as offensive as it is, will have a minimal impact on the subway during peak hours.

This doesn't take away from the impact of Yonge Street hyper-densification on electric and water infrastructure, or concerns about heritage, healthy retail mix, or other street-level effects.

[...] except in those slushy days from January to mid March [...]

Maybe I feel this way because I'm from Ottawa, but Torontonians whine too much about winter and don't really have a clue. Buck up, folks.

[...] This doesn't take away from the impact of Yonge Street hyper-densification on electric and water infrastructure, or concerns about heritage, healthy retail mix, or other street-level effects.

Agreed.

Maybe I feel this way because I'm from Ottawa, but Torontonians whine too much about winter and don't really have a clue. Buck up, folks.

We do a terrible job of clearing the snow and slush from our sidewalks and especially at intersections. The pools of water at so many of our corners is one thing I hate about winter in Toronto. Not the cold, but the slush.

We do a terrible job of clearing the snow and slush from our sidewalks and especially at intersections. The pools of water at so many of our corners is one thing I hate about winter in Toronto. Not the cold, but the slush.

People use far too much salt here as well. It's hell on shoes and pants, as well as infrastructure and vehicles.

Sounds like an awesomely ideal commute to me.

To each their own. I can think of better things then walking home after a long day of work in a massive crowd with everyone doing their own things.

To add: I'll gladly take the old of Ottawa over the freezing. slushy show we get here too.

Last edited:
Good for you if that's how you want convince yourself. I didn't care for it the years I did it. That was before smart phones and thousands of fewer people. There's nothing vibrant about being stuck behind a slowpoke or tripping over someone who has stopped on a dime for whatever reason in the middle of the sidewalk. This is just compounded by the text'rs and app'rs all wearing noise blocking headphones and not paying any attention.

It's a commute that most people in this city would die for. But to each their own.

I too prefer an Ottawa winter, except for the fact that some years in Toronto we get visible signs of spring earlier than in Ottawa.

I know it's almost a running joke, but in Ottawa and Montreal, it's a colder winter but it's also a dry winter. It's the first thing I noticed about moving to back to the GTA after a decade in Ottawa - it's much damper here. Goes into your bones more.

It might just be me, but I also find it greyer here during the winter. That might be a reflection of the damp.

Plus, as I noted above, there is also the incessant whining here. Stiff upper lips, people! ;)

No, I think you're right. More blue-sky days in Ottawa on average, methinks. Anyway, back to da topic at hand.

Hard to believe how transformed Yonge is going to be in just a handful of years.

No, I think you're right. More blue-sky days in Ottawa on average, methinks.

You'd be right.

Average % possible sunshine hours for December/January/February (Environment Canada data):
Toronto - 28.0/29.7/37.7
Ottawa - 30.3/35.5/44.9

Sorry to continue the tangent, I thought it was noteworthy for broader planning knowledge.

Back