Those massing models are pretty cool, thanks for sharing that.

That said, this is a very small site and I can't imagine a round floorplate would be the best way to go here.

I thought the same thing and the third one looks like Trump Vancouver.

Any planner who thinks a 60 storey apartment building in the middle of the downtown core within a minute's walk of a huge subway system NEEDS PARKING has sunk far below my contempt.

Toronto deserves more than these small-minded exposers of official mediocrity.

To think that absolutely no one who lives here will have a car is also small-minded, no doubt it will not need the amount called for by the city, but that doesn't equal zero despite what you may consider to be a "huge" subway system beneath.

To think that absolutely no one who lives here will have a car is also small-minded, no doubt it will not need the amount called for by the city, but that doesn't equal zero despite what you may consider to be a "huge" subway system beneath.

I agree. This might sound super materialistic but if I buy a 800k condo I want a parking spot for my porsche.

This isn't a condo. This is a rental building.

Either way, if you have a car and they don't have a spot for it, then the argument is that you look elsewhere, either to live or to store the vehicle. Negotiations between the developer and Planning + the Councillor would be under way on this now, and ultimately Council will have to debate whatever is in the final proposal.

The customer can always choose not to rent at this location due to the lack of parking. If the proponent is confident enough with it to fly for them, it's probably good enough for anyone. They also have the option of getting parking from TEC proper, at a (high) cost.

AoD

I feel the city should be flexible around any rigid rules about parking for rental units but I oppose outright the idea of zero parking spaces for new rental or residential. At minimum anyone building a residential building without parking should be required to pay an additional development charge per unit to fund additional creation of parking spots elsewhere by the city.

Great place for residential! I feel that allowing the marketplace to determine parking or any other feature is always the best option. Requiring parking at this location is not practical from a construction point of view as well as needlessly adding to the cost the project.

I feel the city should be flexible around any rigid rules about parking for rental units but I oppose outright the idea of zero parking spaces for new rental or residential. At minimum anyone building a residential building without parking should be required to pay an additional development charge per unit to fund additional creation of parking spots elsewhere by the city.

Why should they? In this instance, it is highly unlikely that this project will lead to street parking in the immediate vicinity (which is one of the main rationales for having a parking requirement in the first place).

AoD

Last edited:
I agree. This might sound super materialistic but if I buy a 800k condo I want a parking spot for my porsche.

First, I hate you! (Lol) a Porsche? I can barely afford for 06' Grand Prix! (Granted, living on LTD isn't easy). But I totally agree. It's extremely small minded to assume just because you're living on top of a subway line that you don't need or have a car. I live in Rosedale, literally a few minutes walk to the subway, but my car is my lifeline to the outside world. I love living downtown, but I also enjoy leaving it at my leisure, and having a car allows me to do that. Do any of these developers ever think about those of us who, while not totally disabled, require a car to get around? Not all of us can handle using public transit, which, is definitely NOT handicap friendly. I'm not disabled enough to qualify for Wheeltrans, yet walking is out of the question, at least, most days (especially now, I'm still recovering from the last round of surgeries and chemo) so that leaves me with my car. I realize I'm in the minority here, but just once I'd love to have a downtown development take myself, and others like me, into consideration instead of assuming everyone can use public transit. Not to be a snob, but even pre cancer, I hated using it, the TTC is a nightmare on the best of days, and having an ileostomy for so many years, makes being crammed into a crowded subway car a recepie for certain disaster (as one putz discovered when he tried pushing me out of the way and, you guessed it, the bloody bag went pop, all over his hand and my pants, grrr!), but that's another issue all together. Seriously, being disabled shouldn't mean I'm limited to either Ontario housing (no thank you!) that is specifically built for the disabled, or a very limited number of condos. Alas, it's a pipe dream, but put yourself in my shoes, if only for a day, and you'll know what I mean.

No, of course it's not strictly necessary. I'm not saying that all residential buildings in the downtown cores should not have parking, that is idiotic.
This building just shows that parking is not a necessity.
Annoyed that you won't have parking? Then don't live in this building. End of storey.

Also, since this is a rental building, incorporating enough parking for 600 odd residents might not be able to fit within budgetary contraints.

I wonder what the rules are in Chicago..an actual world class city, and another big, great lakes city with room for urban sprawl.

Back