This project will open just as Queen Street will be closed for the Ontario Line, no? Too bad about the timing.

An old pic, looking right at this corner, from March 1955

1679578304310.png

No Credit Given, sourced here: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbi....3368735803443222&idorvanity=1579752435674910

Note, of course, there is no Eaton's Centre yet, 2 Queen West is adjacent to the then Eaton's Queen Street store.

What possible explanation can there be for such a very long delay (appears to be stalled) to what is a relatively modest project? Did Cadillac-Fairview have second thoughts about the project? Are they planning a big tall condo tower as originally envisaged for this corner (not that I want that)? That's the only explanation I can think of.

An old pic, looking right at this corner, from March 1955

View attachment 463569
No Credit Given, sourced here: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbi....3368735803443222&idorvanity=1579752435674910

Note, of course, there is no Eaton's Centre yet, 2 Queen West is adjacent to the then Eaton's Queen Street store.
1. Is that a horse on the right hand side of the photo?
2. I remember the beautiful building on the left.
3. So much was torn down for the Eaton Centre!
I suppose it was the 70's with increased competition form suburban malls The Downtowns of so many cities were gutted.

Sign of the times

My understanding was although they were uncommon, horse-drawn carriages were still used until the late 1950's or so before they really became novelties. So it's likely one of the last horse-drawn carriages in the city before they were really phased out.

My understanding was although they were uncommon, horse-drawn carriages were still used until the late 1950's or so before they really became novelties. So it's likely one of the last horse-drawn carriages in the city before they were really phased out.

My mother moved to Toronto with her family in 1947 (as a child), at that time, they still received their daily milk delivery by horse.

^ If @Northern Light 's mother was 5 years old in 1947 and got pregnant 20 years later in the Centennial year 1967... my algorithm (aka calculator) reports that NL is now enjoying a Freedom Fifty-Five Year here in T-Dot (81% certainty - 7 out of 10 times).

🌲🍁🌹🌆🙃

^ If @Northern Light 's mother was 5 years old in 1947 and got pregnant 20 years later in the Centennial year 1967... my algorithm (aka calculator) reports that NL is now enjoying a Freedom Fifty-Five Year here in T-Dot (81% certainty - 7 out of 10 times).

🌲🍁🌹🌆🙃

LOL, don't have her age quite right, but close; and you don't have how old she was when I was born, but quite close.

My mother was born in 1947, and like Northern Light, remembered the milk being delivered by horse to her home in Alderwood when she was a child. So, that's at least the early 50s ('52-'53) before permanent memories set in.

Finally! Glazing looks good. It is darker than the renders although the last pane looks more transparent and could be the start of a lighter/clearer glass that will be street facing. (Although the renders don’t show the two tone glazing so who knows?)

Last edited:

Back