Some action here being reported on to next week's CreateTO meeting:

10% of Units (61 of 611) as new Affordable Rental units via City OPEN DOOR program, property tax and fee waivers.

Not seeing any details on how many years of Affordability..?

1655139379206.png

Marlin Spring Partners with Habitat for Humanity to Provide 90+ Affordable Housing Units within Two Toronto Developments

August 4, 2022

Marlin Spring is pleased to announce zoning approval for two development projects in Toronto that will provide more than 90 affordable rental homes, in partnership with Community Affordable Housing Solutions (CAHS), which is a federally incorporated non profit land trust that was set up in 2020 by Habitat for Humanity GTA, St. Clares and Co-op Housing Federation of Canada.

---------

City Council also approved plans to develop and construct a multi-tower condominium development at 1978-2002 Lake Shore Blvd. West in Toronto, which was purchased from CreateTO. The 36 and 20-storey buildings will sit on top of a 5-storey podium and will provide 600+ homes, including 61 affordable rental units.

“We are thrilled to be working with Habitat for Humanity and its partners to secure over 90 affordable housing units which will be owned and operated by the CAHS land trust for a term of 99 years,” said Pedro Lopes, Sr. Vice President, Land Development & Acquisitions. “It has always been important to Marlin Spring to be legitimate community partners and to continue to close the supply-demand housing gap in neighbourhoods that are close to transit and numerous amenities.”

Pretty much the only good thing coming out of this project is the 90 affordable rental homes. We know what kind of dreck we'll be getting with Marlin Spring and G+C at the helm, and unfortunately it's going to sit right on the waterfront.

Ah there we go, now it's getting to be more and more like the Marlin Spring and G+C we know and hate!

The colour on the podium and balconies will be stripped away to grey very shortly dont worry.

...if I was The City, I would only let them build it if they went with their last rendering.

Well, I guess this thing is gonna exist... hope they actually deliver on those affordable units here, as they were trying to CoA them out of another project... hm...

View attachment 548034

View attachment 548035
Marlin Spring are obligated to deliver 61 Affordable Units under the land-deal with CreateTO.

Which specific project were they "trying to CoA them out of"..?

...I got unsophisticated swelling of the thyroids of sorts when Googling that. 🙀

Just wanted to say that the location is perfect! Soon there will be a solid wall of condos (and spandrel!) from Windermere to west of the Motel Strip. Taken 14 March.

IMG_8671.jpeg

IMG_8668.jpeg

Marlin Spring are obligated to deliver 61 Affordable Units under the land-deal with CreateTO.

Which specific project were they "trying to CoA them out of"..?

In reference to 316 Junction. The cover letter indicates that they intend to change the designated unit's rent from 80% to 100% of the average market rent for the affordable units (because they made some mistake upon submission?)... While by definition the city officially considers that enough to be defined 'affordable', I don't feel it should count, so in my mind they are being "removed" in a sense.

Last edited:

Back