Docs are up

1.JPG
2.JPG

The tower portion looks surprisingly good, but that's one monolithically huge and sterile podium.

So they secured the property to the north where St Louis BBQ is currently located. Looks like a decent proposal for the site.

Front page story up here. I have to say that I really like how the upper storeys are handled here. Alternating two fenestration styles in three levels of interlocking boxes that slow step back as the building rises, and interrupting them with the landscaped alcoves, really articulates a large building very well. I also like the Space Age 60s vibe here too; there's both some flair/vibrancy and some restraint/discipline with this one: it feels very well thought out. In the ground realm, I am glad they have masonry piers coming down to the sidewalk at regular intervals, but I'm not so sure it's cured the too-much-uninterrupted-glass syndrome that now faces redeveloped Toronto. The all-glass recessed third floor where the amenities are housed though, works very well to separate the two sections. My only hope is that this design is not killed by mullions when it's realized: this will depend upon the frames working as shown in the rendering, and not being lost in a maze of mullions. So, while some differences with the final product are inevitable, and I do not believe the final product can look quite this good, I am hoping for minimal Cheapening™. We will see how it goes.

Front page story up here. I have to say that I really like how the upper storeys are handled here. Alternating two fenestration styles in three levels of interlocking boxes that slow step back as the building rises, and interrupting them with the landscaped alcoves, really articulates a large building very well. I also like the Space Age 60s vibe here too; there's both some flair/vibrancy and some restraint/discipline with this one: it feels very well thought out. In the ground realm, I am glad they have masonry piers coming down to the sidewalk at regular intervals, but I'm not so sure it's cured the too-much-uninterrupted-glass syndrome that now faces redeveloped Toronto. The all-glass recessed third floor where the amenities are housed though, works very well to separate the two sections. My only hope is that this design is not killed by mullions when it's realized: this will depend upon the frames working as shown in the rendering, and not being lost in a maze of mullions. So, while some differences with the final product are inevitable, and I do not believe the final product can look quite this good, I am hoping for minimal Cheapening™. We will see how it goes.

Agreed with most of the above.

The podium doesn't really relate to how dynamic the upper stories are. Perhaps if the masonry alcoves alternated at street level between white and black it would help resolve that relationship better while also making the ground floor less monolithic.

Wow, I didn't know G & C had it in them to come up with something this nice. Agreed that the retail levels could do with some softening. Fingers crossed that the cheapening doesn't infect this one too much.

A side point, but it would be nice if fees from this development kicked off decking over the subway north of Lola. It's the only place to get additional public space in an exploding district. Huge opportunity lost over the last few years with almost every other weekend Metrolinx or TTC closing that stretch of subway.

13 months later.............

This one is the subject of an Appeal Report (formerly Request for Direction Report) coming to the next meeting of TEYCC:

From the above:

This is curious............

1673885196335.png

1673885263091.png

1673885295064.png

1673885315544.png

Below, I like the thinking of Parks here.........on-point and yet creative too!

1673885402472.png

Quick notes here: The objection isn't really to height. Some concern over shadows, but doesn't play like a deal-breaker at all. This one feels like the laneway is a critical issue and the parks issue important.

Both should be resolvable. Very odd that the proponent declined to engage w/Planning at all, as my read is that a clean approval was probably within reach.

Last edited:

Back