Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New Application into the AIC for a six storey purpose-built rental.

1645169523368.png

Aerial Pic:

1645169621836.png

Not stated, but would seem fairly obvious that this would be situated on the current surface parking lot.

Site Size ** (overall parcel) 3ha/7.5 acres

Commentary note: This site includes private ownership of some ravine lands and a watercourse, it is likely those will be required to be conveyed to the TRCA in the approval process.

I do not know, but I expect staff would want an on-side parkland dedication as well, the white line in the above is a trail through the forest, with no public outlet on its western side, a slim strip along the south side of the site might serve that purpose.
Alternatively the access could be conveyed by easement and a top-of-bank (tableland) park could be added for the area instead.

One other interesting option would be to take off-site dedication to complete the ravine park system here, just to the east.

1645170187286.png

Streetview of existing site:

1645170240842.png

Ravine lands east of this site:

1645170385730.png

1645170435763.png

Final note, I have not listed the applicant, but it is more than likely Starlight, as they manage (own?) the existing rental buildings.

City is going to hate a lack of direct frontage on a public street for this one.

I can't imagine they'll be keen on the surface parking either.

There also doesn't seem to be any kind of easement for public access to the ravine.

While those are both nice-to-haves, neither are really necessary under the current policy regime, particularly since this is likely a net reduction of surface parking here, and that there are already multiple access points to the park beside it from other streets nearby.

One thing the City really dislikes is buildings without public street frontages though - so this application is going to have a huge uphill battle just to exist on that front. They may end up having to squeeze in some new public road to service it, though I'm not sure they have the space on the site to do that.

A new rendering has been updated in the database but no information has changed. Rendering taken from the architectural plan via Site Plan Approval.

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 27  2023-12.jpg

Back