First place I lived in TO was few houses north of this assembly and even then, 10 years ago, these were abandoned and derelict. Nice to see something happening here. I always thought this stretch of Broadview south of Queen could make a great urban street with more density on the east side.

FWIW, I would love to see something that embraces the post-industrial/loft vibe.

I think that would add flavour.

Warm, but not cloying brick; Big square windows. spandrel-free please, chunky street wall, extra-height in all podium floors; retail-fronting Broadview.

FWIW, I would love to see something that embraces the post-industrial/loft vibe.

Warm, but not cloying brick; Big square windows. spandrel-free please, chunky street wall, extra-height in all podium floors; retail-fronting Broadview.
Like the building across from this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll say it again this is a corner parcel of land with a front row seat to the main attraction on Eastern and Broadview Avenue . And should be developed according to what's going near there in the future. As if it's like the Yonge and Bloor intersection area

Like the building across from this?

Very much what I had in mind.

We have very few spaces in Toronto where you can see this type of architectural expression, fewer still where it exists on both sides of a major road.

Architecture by CEBRA with Kasian:

cebra.JPG
cebra2.JPG

Loving the architecture on this one.

Seems I got my wish................

My only complaint here is the parkland dedication which is just stupid.

It's far too small to be functional.

Much better to take this as an off-site dedication to grow an existing nearby park to a functional size!

My only complaint here is the parkland dedication which is just stupid.

It's far too small to be functional.

Much better to take this as an off-site dedication to grow an existing nearby park to a functional size!

Here's what should be done Parks - wise.

Either by off-site dedication, by cash-in-lieu with City acquisition.

1632174403803.png

Now this parcel is worth a lot more $$ than what's on offer...........

But I have an answer for that.......

You don't need the whole thing for parkland.

Immediately to the north-east of this site, along the rail corridor is parkland.

But it's isolated by this building, and therefore otherwise inaccessible to someone except via Saulter Street, with the nearest access point being the laneway just south of Queen.

What's needed here is to connect that park along the rail corridor to Eastern and add a bit of functional depth.

1632174633726.png

The northern triangle is the existing park.

What this would leave would be a residual parcel like this:

1632174806515.png

About 15,000ft2............perfect for phase 2 of this development!

I believe that someone was harping about putting up a skyscraper beside these homes nearby was going bother the neighbours. And now we got a huge 12 storey wall instead! Nice building though!

Streetcar/Dream are lobbying something on this one...........but I'm not quite sure what....

1635792912058.png

Mark me down as someone who doesn't want to see 40 story towers jammed onto this site - regardless of the coming transit options. I'm fine with a chunky boi at 12. There will be other places where densification will happen in the east end. There's really no cause for alarm here. Besides, mid-rises along arterials are where it's at. Gives the city more of a Parisian feel, which can't be bad in my book.

Mark me down as someone who doesn't want to see 40 story towers jammed onto this site - regardless of the coming transit options. I'm fine with a chunky boi at 12. There will be other places where densification will happen in the east end. There's really no cause for alarm here. Besides, mid-rises along arterials are where it's at. Gives the city more of a Parisian feel, which can't be bad in my book.

I think that 21 Broadview by CEBRA being a cornerstone building gives off a Copenhagen, HafenCity Hamburg, or newer parts of northwest and eastern Amsterdam vibe instead of Paris. But otherwise yes, I do agree that a consistently midrise dense and vibrant built form along Eastern Avenue is how I'd like to see it grow.

Last edited:

Back