And my brain just exploded. Yonge and Eg is getting crazy.

http://www.postcity.com/Eat-Shop-Do/Do/February-2013/Potential-mega-development-in-midtown/

He feels that his values aren’t aligning with what Build Toronto wants: “They’re trying to jam-pack as much as possible into that whole block,” said Matlow, who favours open space and public squares.

“More people are moving into the area, and therefore, we need to create people-friendly spaces,” he said. “There needs to be a great public space for the local community. That’s how great cities are planned. Go to Paris, London, Rome or New York, and you will find great public squares and parks near major junctions. And we haven’t done that in Toronto.”

Those green spaces are a sharp contrast to what Build Toronto has sketched out on one preliminary plan obtained by Post City Magazines from councillor Matlow’s office. Those plans include a five-storey hotel, two-storey mall, four-storey podiums and residential towers stretching 20, 30, 50 and 60 storeys. According to executive assistant to Coun. Matlow, Andrew Athanasiu, these preliminary sketches are the only plans that have been presented to the councillor.

News-Focus-Yonge-Eg-Plan-CMYK.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/04/whats_happening_with_the_eglinton_station_bus_bays/

What's happening with the Eglinton Station bus bays?

Posted by Chris Bateman / APRIL 17, 2013

The site will likely remain fenced off and abandoned in until Spring 2016 when the tunnel boring machine (TBM) for the Eglinton LRT is scheduled to reach the west side of Yonge Street. At that time Metrolinx will demolish the concrete bays and dig an extraction shaft to retrieve its underground machinery.

Also in 2016, a separate TBM will arrive from the east and be removed from a separate shaft that's likely to be in the middle of Eglinton Avenue. The intersection will be closed at this point for construction of the station and the connecting tunnels to the subway line.

"It will be post-2020 before something else can be built there," says Jamie Robinson, Metrolinx's director of Toronto LRT projects. Brad Ross of the TTC confirms that date, saying no development will take place before the provincial transit agency has finished its light rail line.

Local councillor Josh Matlow says he's working with Metrolinx, the TTC, and the city to build a small public space surrounded by "good quality hoarding" on the periphery of the bus bay lands in the meantime.

"We're going to put up big boards that have really nice pictures of the Crosstown, slogans like "Coming Soon," and pictures of the Yonge and Eglinton neighbourhood. Information boards as well, information about the progress of the project ... about construction, either good news or delays. Basically, a place where people come to collect information."

I keep looking at Canada Square and wondering if Oxford (who recently bought it) has plans to demo and build something larger there? Perhaps after the LRT is complete? Would be a perfect spot for a larger office tower on top of two transit lines. Pure speculation but curious.

I keep looking at Canada Square and wondering if Oxford (who recently bought it) has plans to demo and build something larger there? Perhaps after the LRT is complete? Would be a perfect spot for a larger office tower on top of two transit lines.

I would think there would be a major challenge to build there with all the underground transit structures, unless the original foundations could bear a larger building.

While Im not sure if it would be financially feasible right now to tear them down and build larger towers with more GLA, I could see it happening later. E tower is approved on the kitty corner for close to 200 m. Considering the lack of prime locations for some real AAA office space at Yonge and Eg, I could totally see (in the more distant future) this location being in such demand that it would be productive to redevelop. Add to that the completion of a second underground line, with future expansion of that line possible at some point, and you have a pretty prime location. Whether its physically possible to redevelop the site in such tight quarters, I also don't know. I could see the city allowing more office space on this site though if a developer was willing to make it happen. Anyway, just tossing around some thoughts I had....who knows, they might just have bought it to keep it as a constant revenue stream.

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/toronto/2525-blackwoods-spec-tacular-leed-venture/

Canada Square dates back to 1962, when the first tower was built (the others sprouted in 1972 and 1987). It has 844k SF of gross leasing area with a multiplex cinema, retail concourse, and 745-stall parkade. Ken says the property is performing well at the moment, but adds that CT REIT will be working with the complex's co-owners to explore redevelopment opportunities down the line. He wouldn't dish on how much CT REIT paid for the acquisition, citing confidentiality. The Canada Square deal was announced the same day CT REIT reported a Q2 net income of $45.7M.

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/toronto/2525-blackwoods-spec-tacular-leed-venture/

Canada Square dates back to 1962, when the first tower was built (the others sprouted in 1972 and 1987). It has 844k SF of gross leasing area with a multiplex cinema, retail concourse, and 745-stall parkade. Ken says the property is performing well at the moment, but adds that CT REIT will be working with the complex's co-owners to explore redevelopment opportunities down the line. He wouldn't dish on how much CT REIT paid for the acquisition, citing confidentiality. The Canada Square deal was announced the same day CT REIT reported a Q2 net income of $45.7M.

Thanks for that, hihihi. Interesting future potential. We should see what's happeneing ~2020 or so, when the LRT is finishing up.

What does everyone think should happen at the abandoned bus bays after the LRT is complete?

Public space? Square or park? Retail? Market?

Back