So is the school included in the redevelopment, or the developer is proposing a land swap?

Here is a video posted on Youtube by Choice REIT

It's all in the front page story!

A southern bridge over the rail corridor is off the table for now as the property doesn't extend far enough south to be able to land on the MoCA property without a very long, oblique diagonal connection (unfortunately the land that could have accommodated this connection on the other side of the tracks is all going to be townhouses).
Many thanks for posting! I felt guilty having to miss the meeting today, events conspired to make it not possible, but that was *exactly* the question I had foremost on my mind. Castlepoint were sour on it when asked. I can't tell you more than that, but might have more later that I can divulge. I'm led to believe the City dropped the ball on it....

Apparently they're looking into the feasibility of widening the south sidewalk on Bloor under the rail underpass, including a dedicated cycling path with a potential ramp connecting to the railpath, so hopefully there will be some kind of reasonable railpath connection. This connection may still be expensive and complex as it will require tunneling under an active rail corridor.
This is an unexpected but critical point for anyone who cycles around the area. Both sides of the underpass are suicide slides if remaining on Bloor for cyclists (drain covers shifted just adds to the 'fun' of putting your life at risk) but cyclists barreling along the sidewalks are just as dangerous to pedestrians. And it happens a lot. (On the north side too, some going to the main GO entrance) That they proposed this tells me they *are genuinely* aware of real issues. That impresses me, along with their 'minimal car' approach altogether.

In order to build up against the rail corridor, there will need to be a fairly tall crash wall, so they're talking about using the space on top of this wall as an outdoor public space overlooking the tracks.
"On top of this wall"...do you mean that high but adjacent/abutting? That would go a long way towards sound abatement, at least in the near-field acoustic shadow. Interesting...the plexi panels aren't working that well, and look like shid...not helped when the graffiti removal chemicals smear them.

Edit: This must be what Smably means:
upload_2017-10-14_19-8-1.png

Btw: I just noticed that the GO train is EMUs! Note how the rendering has merged the MP54 loco front to a carriage. Very subtle...except they've overlooked the need for catenary in the pic...

You can also see in that site plan where they are proposing that the GO station platforms be extended south to, and that they'd be accessible from a new bridge above the tracks.
Yes! I noticed that in renders posted earlier. Not to scale, but indicative of what might happen. Since that was drawn, the announcement of the Dundas West-Bloor Stations tunnel has been stated as proceeding. The configuration of that bridge might end-up underground, perhaps sharing an underpass with the connecting bicycle path mentioned.

Also, that white building at the south end with the courtyard in it is where they are proposing the school be relocated. One more reminder that shape of the school, and pretty much everything else, is notional at this point.
It's curious, if not perplexing, that they're just finishing up massive overdue renos to the school. I can't quite see how it is to be 'assimilated' now, but there might be something new to be announced on that.

Overall, as projects go, what's been proposed and rendered pics so far look amazingly good! I'm loathe to get too excited yet...but so far, it's far better than many projects...

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-14_19-8-1.png
    upload_2017-10-14_19-8-1.png
    400.6 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:
I wonder if they've talked to Metrolinx at all about their ideas. I can't see the widening of the south side of Bloor St. to be easy in any way at all. I *like* this idea but I have my doubts they can pull it off. I'd expect they would have to take tracks out of service to do this, which won't be easy with the existing train frequency, let alone the planned frequency over the next few years.

One thing missing from today's presentation is any mention of building heights. All renderings were ground level and first few stories, or looking straight down.

I can't see the widening of the south side of Bloor St. to be easy in any way at all
Structurally alone it would be extremely difficult to do due to the walls of the underpass also being the weight carrying buttresses for the bridge spans.

It would have to be a bored tunnel slightly south of Bloor. A bridge combined with the one rendered would at first appear to be the easier option, but cyclists would continue to use the sidewalk under the present bridge if they were faced with carrying bikes up and down many steps, or even use an elevator. It's just counter-intuitive. What might work is a ramp *up* to the new bridge across, and one down the other side. With the grade elevated on the west side, this might be a desirable option than minimizes the cyclist's need to dismount.

I wonder if they've talked to Metrolinx at all about their ideas. I can't see the widening of the south side of Bloor St. to be easy in any way at all. I *like* this idea but I have my doubts they can pull it off. I'd expect they would have to take tracks out of service to do this, which won't be easy with the existing train frequency, let alone the planned frequency over the next few years.
Yes, they are working through all of this with Metrolinx already.
One thing missing from today's presentation is any mention of building heights. All renderings were ground level and first few stories, or looking straight down.
They're not talking heights and densities yet. They want to get a ground realm plan that the community likes, then they'll get into the stuff that the community will no doubt complain about. Might as well have general agreement on something first, before having to get into negotiations that will unavoidably anger some people. (Lots of people want something for nothing, right?)

With Gord Perks as the local councillor this development will be bottled up in planning for years....mark my words
It appears to me that Perks is pro-actively involved in this. *So far* this project appears to be a model to envy. Unless the bubble bursts, I'm very impressed with how the developer is working with the public, neighbourhood and good planning principles. I did a quick search to illustrate Perks' stance, and this does it I believe, albeit this is regarding the Giraffe on the NW corner of Dundas and Bloor (an intersection that has to be rationalized, traffic is madness there right now)
upload_2017-10-15_10-17-6.png
https://twitter.com/gordperks/status/867850860851802112

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-15_10-17-6.png
    111.3 KB · Views: 626
Last edited:
Quote from Galen Weston Jr about the project:

The development, “designed as is, will change the neighbourhood in such a negative capacity and will devalue all of the assets we currently love about living here; it will no longer be the ideal place for our young family to grow up. This building is an invasion on our privacy, our community and an environmental assault on our neighbourhood.”

Oh wait...

Quote from Galen Weston Jr about the project:
Whoa! I had to do a double take on that until accessing the Quote .

I don't recall Weston getting flak in the press over that, but Atwood certainly did, couple of barbed stories on her hypocrisy, but it will be interesting to hold Weston to the quote...if need be.

I can't help but wonder if I've been seduced by the presentation for 2280, but re-reading the UT article on it, since I've missed the meetings on Saturday, I can still drop by between Tuesdays and Thursdays at their 'Mission in the Mall'. I'll do that, possibly tomorrow, just to suss the gravity of their stated convictions.

Just reading some background on Galen Weston now, I knew he was a scion, had no idea he was "second richest in Canada." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galen_Weston

I'm surprised he lives 'amongst the mortals' nr Davenport and Avenue Rd. But that's part of the intrigue about 2280. If this is as what it's being promoted as, is this a harbinger of not only *considered design*, but also fresh thinking in retail and real estate marketing? I'd like to think so, and if so, credit to the man if this is a product of his vision.

I remain skeptical, but open to being surprised. The emphasis on pedestrians, cyclists and transit is welcome and needed.

The emphasis on pedestrians, cyclists and transit is welcome and needed.

It's an ideal place for that emphasis, and a way to build more with less impact if they can actually deliver on the ped/bike/transit talk. Such a good opportunity...I hope they can work well with the City and Metrolinx to make great things happen here.

It's an ideal place for that emphasis, and a way to build more with less impact if they can actually deliver on the ped/bike/transit talk. Such a good opportunity...I hope they can work well with the City and Metrolinx to make great things happen here.
Thanks for that! I'm trying to gauge my optimism, and knowing others see it that way really helps.

I thought that what's being promoted would have a tough time with City Planning, but an architect friend deep into similar projects assures me that the City is now much more pragmatic with 'parking spaces per occupant'. (Edit: Let me clarify that a bit. The phrase architect friend used was (gist) "there is no actual number, they are being flexible with interpreting the guideline") The details elude me at this time, suffice to say even cities like Calgary 'get it', and the aspiration for twenty-somethings owning a car is at an all-time (modern times) low. That has to be catered to, and damn those who don't. Vehicles are necessary, but not in the numbers we now have. Toronto is still a generation or more behind other progressive cities. And God knows Roncesvalles is choking with them.

If this project is to be 'Roncy North', it has to appeal to the progressive middle-class, and their spawn. And Weston and Toronto alike can point to it as "Toronto doing things right". All the elements are here to do it. Is the will-power?

I remain intrigued and mostly hopeful.

Last edited:
Link: http://www.choicereit.ca/English/ne...-at-2280-Dundas-Street-West-Site/default.aspx

Media Advisory & Photo Opportunity - Choice Properties REIT Presents Plan for Mixed-Use Redevelopment at 2280 Dundas Street West Site

APRIL 09, 2018
Early media preview of project plan for re-imagined site at Bloor-Dundas intersection

TORONTO, April 9, 2018 /CNW/ -Choice Properties REIT (TSX: CHP.UN) is moving forward with the redevelopment plan for its site at 2280 Dundas Street West. Choice is offering media an early opportunity to view the project plan for a mixed-use community on Thursday, April 19. The plan will be presented to the community at an open house on Saturday, April 21.

WHO:

Joe Svec, Director, Mixed-Use Development, Choice Properties REIT

David Pontarini, Founding Partner, Hariri Pontarini Architects

George Dark, Senior Design Partner, Urban Strategies

Community Idea Centre

2280 Dundas Street West, Toronto M6R 3B5

DATE:

Thursday, April 19, 2018

TIME:

9:30am – 2:30pm (please schedule a time for individual tours and interviews)

Photo Opportunity: Preliminary site plans and renderings for mixed-use redevelopment of 2280 Dundas Street West.

For more information, visit: http://www.choicereit2280.ca

About Choice Properties Real Estate Investment Trust
Choice Properties Real Estate Investment Trust is an owner, developer and manager of well-located retail and commercial real estate across Canada. Choice Properties' portfolio spans approximately 44.1 million square feet of gross leasable area and consists of 546 properties primarily focused on supermarket- and drug store-anchored shopping centres and stand-alone supermarkets and drug stores. Choice Properties' strategy is to create value by enhancing and optimizing its portfolio through development, accretive acquisitions and active property management. Choice Properties' principal tenant and largest Unitholder is Loblaw Companies Limited, Canada's largest retailer. Choice Properties' strong alliance with Loblaw positions it well for future growth. For more information, visit Choice Properties' website at http://www.choicereit.ca and Choice Properties' issuer profile at www.sedar.com.

SOURCE Choice Properties Real Estate Investment Trust

Media Contact: Nick de Pass, nick.depass@kaiserlachance.com, 647.725.2520 x210

Interesting, they are planning to relocate the school further south on Dundas street closer to Roncesvalles Ave.

2280 dundas.PNG

also looks like they want to squeeze 9 residential buildings to this site, i can see the ones fronting Dundas + Bloor to be anywhere around 25-30 storeys....we will soon see
Also i don't think it'll be long before we see the same transformation of the Loblaws owned site of the No Frills @ Lansdowne + Dundas

Attachments

• 2280 dundas.PNG
    2280 dundas.PNG
    148.7 KB · Views: 589
Last edited:
With a subway, UP and commute trains stopping in the same location. You think they would intensify that area with higher condos and larger commercial office space ! There's even talks of an underground highway that will exit out in that location to boot !

Back