AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Future redevelopment of the Banks Animal Hospital property at 230 Coxwell Ave, a bit south of Gerrard St E:

The practice was started back in 1937 by Dr. Viv Banks who provided veterinary services for horses at the nearby Woodbine Race Track.

Since 2004, Banks Animal Hospital has been run by Dr. Ronnie Pusong.

Pusong, 60, said that while the building on Coxwell Avenue is being closed in advance of residential development plans by its owners, he will be continuing his vet practice and serving old and new clients at the Vets Toronto Kingston Road Animal Hospital.

“It’s a bit sad, after it being a veterinary clinic for 83 years,” said Pusong of the building’s closure. “It’s a bit of a landmark in the community.”

1589940067528.png

The site itself is modestly sized but does offer some depth at the back. For 20 units, I'd estimate a building that's between 3 to 5 storeys here.

Last edited:

230 COXWELL AVE
Ward 14: Toronto-Danforth

To construct a new four-storey apartment building with a height of 13.2 metres, 20 affordable rental units, a gross floor area of 1,173 square metres, and zero vehicular parking spaces.

coxw.JPG
coxw2.JPG

Interesting. Happy to see this coming. Curious to know more about the proposal in terms of its cladding and colour scheme.

This proposal has been approved despite lots of pushback from neighbors
Was the "push back" at Committee of Adjustment..?

We didn't hear anything about this site in local Facebook Groups, etc.

Was the "push back" at Committee of Adjustment..?

We didn't hear anything about this site in local Facebook Groups, etc.
Exactly. I don't think I worded it very well. It was merely a handful of adjacent neighbors writing in and NIMBYing the project and thus was very happy to see the city approved the project ! The general community I think is just happy for affordable housing projects and something to finally happen with this site!

Exactly. I don't think I worded it very well. It was merely a handful of adjacent neighbors writing in and NIMBYing the project and thus was very happy to see the city approved the project ! The general community I think is just happy for affordable housing projects and something to finally happen with this site!
Yeah... not much of an effort just THIS web-petition as far as I can tell...

Letters and speakers NIMBY-ing against this small project were covered by TMU student radio in early June 2023...

Comments from the NIMBY folks are as expected.

Letters and speakers NIMBY-ing against this small project were covered by TMU student radio in early June 2023...

Comments from the NIMBY folks are as expected.

Ouch. Hard to see outward racism against indigenous peoples as a part of one family's letter of objection. Glad to see other organizations support it. Very glad to see an affordable housing project get approved for the area. Hopefully we see lots more projects with affordable housing be approved soon!

This one is moving ahead; permit news:

1708729771679.png

and

1708729717219.png

Mechanical and Plumbing just require the cheque to clear (issuance pending)

The above-grade permit seems to have some technical issues; but I trust they'll be sorted expeditiously.

Back