AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
New fourplex multi-unit residential building planned for Gerrard St E, roughly halfway between Main Street and Vic Park:

Currently on site is this one older house, seen in the middle here with the large tree in front of it:

gerurb.jpg
gerurb2.jpg
gerurb3.jpg
gerurb4.JPG

LOL...from rendering to the finished product, in one UT post. Perhaps a first?!

There was also this thread, where we went from conception to completion with no rendering lol:

This is pretty good. I wouldn't mind seeing more of these all over east end streets like Gerrard and Dundas East.

Have you seen any other sites like this proposed/built in the city? I would've thought they would've popped up all over the city as potential alternative to condo high-rise living. Guess its too hard to make economics work even for smaller projects.

Have you seen any other sites like this proposed/built in the city? I would've thought they would've popped up all over the city as potential alternative to condo high-rise living. Guess its too hard to make economics work even for smaller projects.

Urbinco have been active for this scale of multiplex development. Their portfolio has around 8 of these similar buildings. Most of them have not started construction yet:

Would this be be considered as the "missing middle"? It still seems a bit small IMHO but I do like it for what it is.

Yes, I would consider this as missing middle housing. Albeit only being a fourplex, it has higher density than a single family home. While also being lower density than a traditional midrise apartment/condo.

The current and very popular rooftop terrace trend seems kind of pointless in the current style. A lot of effort is expended for stairs and an entryway that sits unused for the majority of the year. A little room -- 7 x 10 or whatever -- would provide a separated space from the main unit for a wfh office or tv den with year-round connection to the outdoors.

Back