Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New Application in the AIC for this site:

1629878757708.png

Site listing from 2019: (image)
1629878689265.png

Taken from: https://images1.loopnet.com/i2/DSNs...das-St-W-Toronto-ON-Primary-Photo-1-Large.jpg

Aerial Pic:

1629878889913.png

Site Size: ~ 415m2/4400ft2

Another project for the Junction! Good densification of a currently dreary site.
By my quick calculations jumping through UT threads, around 4,000 to 5,000 residential units have been newly proposed in the Junction this summer alone. Didn't even expand my radius up north to the Stockyards.

Crazy boom we're having.

Good template for yellowbelt densification.

The units seem spacious at almost 1,000 sq.ft. Though they'll probably be quite long and skinny.

Still, wringing 14 units out of a lot that's smaller than most postwar parcels is great. Even if one was to halve the number to get wider units, it would still be a solid gain.

Build it out of CLT and prefab to make them cheaper and repeat across the inner burbs until we're blue in the face.

edit: looking at the plans, the units are quite small and have wonky layouts. To make this project viable for families, the floors with four units would need to be reduced to two. The resulting units would be well over 1,000 sq.ft. and the lot would still have eight of them (easily 30-40,000 people/sq.km.)

Last edited:
i love this! This is good development, sensible to the community. Applications like this should be expedited unlike the other mostrosities in the community. Kudos to the dev and architect

I'd prefer something with more architectural character, but this kind of gentle and urbane density is sorely needed across the city.

Instead of demolishing a block of buildings and replacing them with a monotonous wall of glass at street level, we get increased density while keeping the interesting rhythm of storefronts that dates back to the 19th century. Thus, the street has more character to pedestrians passing by and is a more interesting and attractive place overall.

Good template for yellowbelt densification.

The units seem spacious at almost 1,000 sq.ft. Though they'll probably be quite long and skinny.

Still, wringing 14 units out of a lot that's smaller than most postwar parcels is great. Even if one was to halve the number to get wider units, it would still be a solid gain.

Build it out of CLT and prefab to make them cheaper and repeat across the inner burbs until we're blue in the face.

edit: looking at the plans, the units are quite small and have wonky layouts. To make this project viable for families, the floors with four units would need to be reduced to two. The resulting units would be well over 1,000 sq.ft. and the lot would still have eight of them (easily 30-40,000 people/sq.km.)
the layouts are actually pretty efficient and makes use of the space pretty rationally. If they sprinklered the windows they could put more windows on the site

I'd prefer something with more architectural character, but this kind of gentle and urbane density is sorely needed across the city.

Instead of demolishing a block of buildings and replacing them with a monotonous wall of glass at street level, we get increased density while keeping the interesting rhythm of storefronts that dates back to the 19th century. Thus, the street has more character to pedestrians passing by and is a more interesting and attractive place overall.

Agreed. I'd like to see some of the neighbourhood architectural elements repeated on the first and maybe second levels.

Other than that, it is a great model for other property owners in this and similar neighbourhoods.

Been seeing alternative looking crowds outside this place a lot lately.

Seems like it's still operating as a venue space. Here's how it looks on the inside:

Back