Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
An application is in to redevelop a suburban Beer Store property on St. Clair Avenue East, just west of Birchmount Road.

1622883532659.png

Current use:

1622883613683.png

Aerial site view:

1622883801784.png

Area: 1318m2 or 14186ft.

Of note in the above to me is the generous 4m setback from the sidewalk, almost certainly intended at one time for the widening to six lanes of St. Clair here.

As I would trust that is now off the table, there is an opportunity here to either have a very generous streetscape; to actually take the 10% of site area for park and swap the City's land to the side street to consolidate and offer a parkette; or to sell the City's ROW and take cash-in-lieu to expand park space nearby.

I thought people might be interested to know that this development doesn't just cover the beer store. It also covers the adjacent strip plaza and empty lot. The signage indictaes 3431-3449 St Clair Avenue East.

The Daisy Mart in the adjacent strip plaza is 3437.

20210802_064322.jpg

I really dont see the need myself either. Frankly i'd rather see this built as currently proposed, this design really doesnt need to be dulled down or altered dramatically.

The new rendering is updated in the database. some information changed - Overall storey count changed from 16 storeys to 12 storeys. Height decreased from 57.35m to 44.77m. Finally, the total unit count changed from 388 units to 429 units.

Rendering taken from the architectural plan via Rezoning submission:

PLN - Architectural Plans 1 of 2 - SEP 22  2022-1.jpg

The new rendering is updated in the database. some information changed - Overall storey count changed from 16 storeys to 12 storeys. Height decreased from 57.35m to 44.77m. Finally, the total unit count changed from 388 units to 429 units.

Rendering taken from the architectural plan via Rezoning submission:

View attachment 434905

I see @Art Tsai tried to sneak the new Site Plan in without commentary!

Ahem, Art; the Cover Letter has a different height in storeys that what you have indicated above, it shows 13s, not 12. In reading the elevation drawnings, it appears as 13fth Floor, will be both a Penthouse and an MPH level for the building.

Here's the side by side comparison of the changes:

1668595865226.png

1668595893423.png

Of note here, the assembly has been enlarged by the inclusion of an existing SFH at 67 Elfreda which will be demo'd and serve as a POPS and a buffer between the new building and the remaining SFH.

1668596162729.png

Additional revised renders:

1668596273650.png

1668596300514.png

1668596347422.png

Comments: The height reduction is what it is; City staff seem as though they will be fine w/this now; the shift in aesthetic to brick vs the all-white facade I'm undecided on........

The minor revision to massing along St. Clair, creating the small inset to give the 'feel' of two different buildings is ok, though, I'm not sure that its all that effective as that supposed goal.

I feel the like retail improved in some respects, but would really benefit from another 1M of height between the 1st and 2nd floors for a signage band and some modest architectural treatment delineating that shift from commercial to residential.

I'm unclear why the proposal no longer features trees on the St. Clair frontage, but I don't like that at all. They're gone from both the renders and the Landscape Plan.

I see @Art Tsai tried to sneak the new Site Plan in without commentary!

Ahem, Art; the Cover Letter has a different height in storeys that what you have indicated above, it shows 13s, not 12. In reading the elevation drawnings, it appears as 13fth Floor, will be both a Penthouse and an MPH level for the building.

Here's the side by side comparison of the changes:

View attachment 439439
View attachment 439440

Of note here, the assembly has been enlarged by the inclusion of an existing SFH at 67 Elfreda which will be demo'd and serve as a POPS and a buffer between the new building and the remaining SFH.

View attachment 439441

Additional revised renders:

View attachment 439442

View attachment 439443

View attachment 439444

Comments: The height reduction is what it is; City staff seem as though they will be fine w/this now; the shift in aesthetic to brick vs the all-white facade I'm undecided on........

The minor revision to massing along St. Clair, creating the small inset to give the 'feel' of two different buildings is ok, though, I'm not sure that its all that effective as that supposed goal.

I feel the like retail improved in some respects, but would really benefit from another 1M of height between the 1st and 2nd floors for a signage band and some modest architectural treatment delineating that shift from commercial to residential.

I'm unclear why the proposal no longer features trees on the St. Clair frontage, but I don't like that at all. They're gone from both the renders and the Landscape Plan.

Noted the correction! it's all in the updated database.

I thought people might be interested to know that this development doesn't just cover the beer store. It also covers the adjacent strip plaza and empty lot. The signage indictaes 3431-3449 St Clair Avenue East.

The Daisy Mart in the adjacent strip plaza is 3437.

View attachment 338593

Anyone know if the project is still going ahead?

The signage around the proposed build has all been removed. It's as though it has been canceled.

Anyone know if the project is still going ahead?

The signage around the proposed build has all been removed. It's as though it has been canceled.
Had driven by this weekend - the signage still seems to be up. Have no heard any changes otherwise. Cheers!

Strange, there is one sign but all the rest are gone.

I live down the street and noticed how most of the previous signs are gone.
Maybe I’m seeing things. I saw two signs, one in front of the beer store lot and one on the adjacent strip on the Birchmount and st Claire corner. I presume a sign perhaps got knocked due to damage?

Back