Matt.R.WR

Member Bio
Reaction score
Since the initial submission of Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendments in December 2021, Blacks Point has submitted an revised proposal to address the comments received from staff, agencies, Council and the public.

The initial concept proposed the redevelopment of the subject lands to establish residential, commercial, and office uses, as well as an internal road network and structured parking. The proposed development concept included mixed use buildings with residential towers ranging in height from 12 to 30 storeys, all with podiums containing commercial uses. Approximately 2000 units were proposed for a density of 425 units per hectare or 4.0 Floor Space Index (FSI).

The current development proposal maintains the intent to redevelop the lands and establish residential and commercial uses in addition to an internal road network and structured parking. Mixed use buildings heights have been reduced to a minimum of 8 storeys to a maximum of 16 storeys to address concerns regarding height and massing. Approximately 4,100 square metres of commercial and office space are proposed. This revised development proposal will accommodate approximately 1,300 residential units, with a reduced density of approximately 275 units per hectare and a target Floor Space Index of 3.2. The revised proposal also includes a linear park, and series of parkettes including a plaza and small dog park.

Site Plan
Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 1.59.07 PM.png

Massing
Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 2.00.00 PM.png

Original Submission
Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 2.01.33 PM.png

This one got approved the other day (Dec. 5), but figured I'd post it here for future updates on construction, etc.

Also considering a petition to the developer to apply the original site plan, just with the approved tower heights. Would involve adjusting parking podium heights, etc. but I think it'd be fairly straight forward. I've run the idea of said petition by some fellow UW Planning students, and have support. Kind of wanted to test the waters here too.

Very concerned that ABA's failures from the Gaslight District may get consolidated into one file and used exclusively on this site. Ick.

Site photos from 06/20/2024

From the southeast corner of the property (along Groh Ave towards Samuel Steel), looking northwest. The Queen St/ Goebel Ave intersection and signals can be seen towards the left:
1000007760.jpg

From near the southwest corner of the property (Groh Ave @ Goebel Ave). Site remediation has been underway for a while, but the traffic cones are recent. The roof of Storehouse 408 (small event space/ venue) can be seen across the property, just above the dirt mound:
1000007761.jpg

Still hoping they can maybe re-jig the site plan to reflect the original submission layout with the second (approved) submission's heights while going through SPA. I've been in touch with the developer about it, so we'll see if anything happens. Unlikely, but I'm holding out hope.

Back