@RyanD, you probably have a bit of an uphill battle around here at least as far as general opinions go. There are going to be many, myself included, who in no way consider this to be preservation but rather see it as yet another desecration of a heritage building. I do understand that times change though and we can't preserve the city as a museum, so at the very least I hope the final design is much more sympathetic to the existing architecture in both massing and materiality.

Thanks for engaging, and good luck.

@RyanD - assume that Councillor Fletcher will want XX-units of Affordable Rental in this plan. that seems to be the standard "ask" from her on Broadview at other sites...

Jesus christ, that proposal is awful. One of the worst I've ever seen, especially for a church-to-condo conversion.

This is a tough problem. The church’s tower (bell tower?) blocks the fantastic western view of the Don Valley which I assume would be a major selling point. The church, in my opinion, is a bit of a clunker. Just because it’s old doesn’t mean it’s beautiful, something I realize every time I look in a mirror. Obviously tearing it down is not an option. So, what can be done to maximize the sites’ great potential view of the DV while working around existing barriers, ie the tower AND the local community. Glad it’s not my problem to solve. I hope the developer can overcome the task at hand. Broadview Ave. has such great potential. I’d love to see mid rise development from Danforth south to Gerard. The view of the DV and location to the ttc and Danforth would be huge selling points.

It looks like I'm in the minority on this one but I actually like this proposal. I agree with above^, not everything can be retained in a city, and not everything old is necessarily beautiful. Although, I think this church is fine.

I don't usually like projects with builds over top an old structure. They usually look like an architectural tumor, and don't relate very well to the retained old building. But... I kinda like this one... I think the shape and massing isn't too egregious. It is a modern design, but the angles fit well... but I do think the finishing could be different. If it was in a warm colour, like an amber or brown, if there was brick, maybe elements of wood or stone, or even if it was just all out black, I think it would look better. Maybe even add a floor and add a green foof with some kind of terrace on top... maybe some front facing windows.... I like it, I just think it could use some tweaking.

I'll also add, what's proposed for the adjacent field kind of acts as a POPS and I do like that as well.

This is a tough problem. The church’s tower (bell tower?) blocks the fantastic western view of the Don Valley which I assume would be a major selling point. The church, in my opinion, is a bit of a clunker. Just because it’s old doesn’t mean it’s beautiful, something I realize every time I look in a mirror. Obviously tearing it down is not an option. So, what can be done to maximize the sites’ great potential view of the DV while working around existing barriers, ie the tower AND the local community. Glad it’s not my problem to solve. I hope the developer can overcome the task at hand. Broadview Ave. has such great potential. I’d love to see mid rise development from Danforth south to Gerard. The view of the DV and location to the ttc and Danforth would be huge selling points.
I agree that it's not the most beautiful church, but rather a sturdy old building with a somewhat stately appearance. Further exploration yields attractive brickwork and lovely Neo-Gothic stained glass windows; essentially the sort of things that are irreplaceable these days.

The biggest problem is how jarring and unsympathetic the proposed addition is, appearing like a glass barnacle with no thought to materiality or relationship to the existing church. There are plenty of church conversions that have a more harmonious end result, though I am sympathetic to the fact that unlike most conversions the congregation will be remaining which would take up a lot of potential residential space. Either way I'm hopeful and certain there's a way to create something that is integrated far more gracefully.

Doesn't seem like a totally unbefitting starting point to me — I appreciate learning a bit of background on the proposal and actually quite like the reference project noted. Interested to see how the design evolves. Also happy to learn of an ambitious unit count, would like to see more density added to the Broadview Ave corridor!

Current view of the church building:

20220415_163752.jpg
20220415_163806.jpg
20220415_163834.jpg

While we all discuss the relative merits of the proposed architecture, no-one has yet noted that there are chimney swifts that annually nest in the church's chimney. I suspect that they will be homeless after this project is completed. In southern Ontario they rely almost exclusively on man made chimneys for nest sites. Their presence is part of a healthy urban environment and this project should reflect that.

Farther west from Kingston Road, at 415 Broadview Ave., LCH is partnering with de Cartier Developments on the redevelopment of St. John Presbyterian Church. It was built in 1908 and designed by the same architect responsible for a 1913-built church the two partners previously redeveloped into a condo at 175 Jones Ave.

Approval is being sought to build 60 residential units over 10 storeys at the Broadview Avenue site close to Riverdale Park and multiple public transit options.

The existing church congregation will have a smaller space with updated facilities, while the excess space and a modern addition will be used for housing.

This one now has a date for the Merit Hearing at the OLT:

June 10th, 2024.

The issues list...... is long.

Back