ZEBuilder

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is another approved project along the future phase 2 LRT in Kitchener, this project is directly across from the proposed station. The project is being built in 2 phase, phase 1 is currently under construction, a tower crane is up on the site, and contains a 18 floor tower as well as a 15 floor tower which are connected via a 2 floor podium. Phase 2 will contain a 14 floor tower. The development includes 520 units, 177 of which are 1brdm and the remaining are 2brdm, both apartment and condo units are planned. There will be roughly 40000 sqft of commercial space in the development. It will also contain 922 parking spaces as well as 303 bicycle spaces. Here are the documents: 4220 King St E

Render:
Screenshot 2023-10-23 222908.png

Site Plan (phase 1):
Screenshot 2023-10-23 222940.png

Site plan (phase 2):
Screenshot 2023-10-23 223030.png

This building is already under construction it already has a crane I think

Yeah this one moved incredibly fast through the approval process with ZBA/OPA approval in December of 2022 and the first permits being issued by May 2023. They still only have permits for below ground work however, so there won't be any noticeable skyline changes yet. The developer has really split phase 1 into 2 parts phase 1a and 1b, one for the 18 floor building the other for the 15 floor building. The tower crane went up sometime in June/July, the first time I noticed it was early August. However I never have any reason to go to Sportsworld so I have no idea what stage they're at with construction.

Site photos from 06/20/2024

Looking NW from the Tim's across King.
1000007716.jpg

Another one from across King, this time closer to Deer Ridge Dr. Construction on the street is not related to the development. Road resurfacing and the like. Also adding a median that looks to be wide enough for the LRT right-of-way. I'll show a better photo of that later, since it's less related to this development.
1000007729.jpg

And we can't forget about the area's premiere dining establishment right next door (though it is coming down, since that's the property that makes up Phase 2).
1000007728.jpg

Here's a closer look at what exists of the podium so far.
1000007723.jpg

Sign on the corner of King & Sportsworld Crossing. "Most prestigious community" hmmm okay. Deer Ridge is lovely, but I'm not sure this is quite "in" Deer Ridge. 'Tis marketing, I suppose.
1000007717.jpg

Median photo as promised. Located further south, at King & Tu-Lane St (and an IMAX that appears to be shuttered?).
1000007735.jpg

Tricar's other projects seem pretty nice, so I'm more optimistic with how the quality of this build should hopefully amount to - mainly since there's a some condos in it. Tricar rentals are okay, but their condo projects seem nice, so here's hoping that influences the wider project overall.

From the rendering, phase "1b" and phase 2 look to borrow design inspo from their Gordon Square project in Guelph, which is definitely a positive.

Back