444-466 Eglinton Avenue West - Virtual Community Consultation Meeting

Wednesday, February 28, 2024 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
(UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

If you want to attend, register now. When your registration is approved, you'll receive an invitation to join the webinar.

Host
Jairus Ballaret

Agenda
The City of Toronto Planning Division has received an application to amend the Official Plan and Zoning By-law in order to permit a 19 storey building including a 7 storey podium with retail on the ground floor fronting onto Eglinton Avenue West. A total of 185 new residential dwelling units are proposed. The total gross floor area (GFA) is 14,984 square metres, consisting of 14,565 square metres of residential GFA and 420 square metres of retail GFA on the ground floor.

Join us at the Virtual Community Consultation Meeting to participate in discussions on the application and have your say.

For further information on 444 – 466 Eglinton Ave West, please view the website at: www.toronto.ca/444EglintonAveW and review the materials before the meeting.

Rendering from the article:

eglin.jpg

Some folks in the area with a petition to try and limit this to 8 storeys:

Some folks in the area with a petition to try and limit this to 8 storeys:

I'm pretty sensitive to community concerns on development, particularly when it's a proposal that contrasts with the vernacular or scale of the area. Still, 19 storeys seems appropriate for a site that is on a main avenue, backing onto a large parking lot, and a stone's throw from a new transit station. Also, compare this project to the 30+ storey proposals along Eglinton between Laird and Mt Pleasant, and this proposal seems more than fair.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sensitive to community concerns on development, particularly when it's a proposal that contrasts with the vernacular or scale of the area. Still, 19 storeys seems appropriate for a site that is on a main avenue, backing onto a large parking lot, and a stone's throw from a new transit station. Also, compare this project to the 30+ storey proposals along Eglinton between Laird and Mt Pleasant, and this proposal seems more than fair.

While I broadly agree, I would call the 7-storey street wall here a jarring interruption of the status quo. *

In general, even where exceptional heights are merited, I tend to advise against going over 4 storeys for street walls. Its generally a bad visual to most people, and it tends to have adverse wind impacts.

* Note that the streetwall is not about the total height, but about the apparent height as exhibited by the outermost, lowest exterior walls.

Last edited:
That design is not going to be disruptive. It's certainly not an "exceptional height" at seven stories. The densification of Eglinton is desperately needed.

Back