nimbytect17april2012hrt.png

It's sort of an aA-style with a twist. Bolder I'd like to think.:)

are you smoking a lot of marijuana when you do these?

Bloor condo hits roadblock as councillor raises concerns with 83-storey project’s plans

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/0...roject/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Wong-Tam is opposed to this project - she is concerned about the shadows that "might" be cast on the Jesse Ketchum school yard (what an idiot she has turned out to be!).

The article includes some nice renderings which I have not seen before.

How does the approval process work in this city? Wong-Tam is just one of many councilors. Is it possible for one moron like Wong-Tam to block an important project like this? I sure hope not! :mad:

"Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam of Ward 27 says the development team met with her to discuss the idea in March, but submitted its rezoning application without implementing any of her proposed changes."

What makes Wong-Tam an expert in urban design? The developer didn't implement "any of her proposed changes" so she is not going to support the project?

Wong-Tam is the Councillor promoting the abolition of the OMB. What this story proves is that we NEED the OMB to save us from power-tripping know-nothings like Wong-Tam!

Last edited:
This project is so amazing, I love it, it's going to make this zone more elegant. But what can really happen if she don't approval this, it really has a effect? Sorry I'm not from Canada.

7300752124_2c21891186_z.jpg
[/url]
nl0530a009x-read-only por SparksTO, en Flickr[/IMG]

I think our Councillor Wong Tam has legitimate concerns. We have a dearth public parks and green space in the downtown core and the demand for such space is only going to increase as more condo towers go up with tiny boxes for units, as people are going to look outside for living space. Why does this project have to be 82 storeys? Bigger isn't necessarily better and a city's greatness is not defined by the number of towers it has.

Rarely get excited over renders but wowwwwwwwwwwwie!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh. The only thing special about it is the height. I do like the chunky podium but I'm not jumping up and down for this and I think to call Wong-Tam an idiot is ridiculous. She's one of the only councillors who seems to really want a true democracy in city planning.

How does the approval process work in this city? Wong-Tam is just one of many councilors. Is it possible for one moron like Wong-Tam to block an important project like this? I sure hope not!

What makes Wong-Tam an expert in urban design? The developer didn't implement "any of her proposed changes" so she is not going to support the project?

Wong-Tam is the Councillor promoting the abolition of the OMB. What this story proves is that we NEED the OMB to save us from power-tripping know-nothings like Wong-Tam!

Now, I don't know the expertise of KWT in the area of urban design, but she is an elected official and it being her ward, she is more than entitled to comment on the project. On the other hand, what makes YOU an expert in planning/urban design such that your evaluation of the project (i.e. it is important - for whom, why?) carries more weight, when you don't even have any idea how the planning process work? The irony of calling someone a "moron".

AoD

I don't know if it's just the render but it looks like a 1970's office building a la Commerce Court West.

Wong-Tam is one of the brightest and hardest working councillors this city has right now. She is everything that Ford is not, and IMO is a true champion of those who live/work/own businesses in her ward. If I'm not mistaken, she also has a history in real-estate, and while that might not make her an expert in urban design it should mean that she's at least knowledgeable enough to converse on the topic.

Myself, I'm not a huge fan of the design. It doesn't vary all that much from the standard glass boxes that are going up everywhere else in the city right now, and really does nothing to earn the height.

It's alright. At this height it would have been a great opportunity to build something other than a glass box.

There are other ways to bring in natural sunlight (heliostats aka sun tracking mirrors), a good example is New York's Battery Park

The designers James Carpenter and Davidson Norris, of New York’s Carpenter Norris Consulting, have recently installed heliostats on a residential tower in Battery Park City. The mirrors bring daylight into a portion of the new Teardrop Park, a 2-acre park designed by landscape architect Michael Van Valkenberg, that would otherwise escape the path of the sun. Eight feet in diameter, the mirrors focus light that is 90 percent of the brightness of the sun onto an elliptical footprint on the ground. Norris says glare is not an issue, as the intense light source is no different than staring at the sun—a pastime few people willingly indulge in. Norris and Carpenter have designed a more complex version of a heliostat as a perforated metal lining for the interior of the dome of New York’s new Fulton Street Transit Center. That nearly $900 million project, designed by Grimshaw Architects and scheduled for completion in summer 2009, would reflect light down to multiple levels of subway platforms and corridors.

Source: http://archrecord.construction.com/tech/techbriefs/0705dignews-1.asp

Back