It was originally launched at $2,000 to $2,500/sq.ft. before they revised some of the floor plans to add more smaller units and dropped the pricing to make it more marketable.
KING Toronto (Westbank/BIG) is selling from $1,600 to $2,100/sq.ft. with the penthouses at around $2,300+/sq.ft. It is not in Yorkville, was launched 4 months after 50 Scollard, and is almost sold out — and they have 6 times more units. KING Toronto has a much more progressive and daring design and the builder has a much better track record for building high design and high quality with exclusive features — Vancouver House, also designed by BIG/Westbank is jaw-dropping stunning.
Agree completely!! Amazing insights @neuhaus
With King Toronto: apart from the amazing quality builder and a very famous architect, King is considered to be the "Hip" area in Toronto

It's the destination for Restaurants and the Financial District is expanding West with Union Center, the Well, the new office clusters on Front Simcoe, all of which will be walking distance or a 10 min streetcar away

I've never lived in YV and I'm sure it has its amazing draws but just because this is Lanterra as many people said, they're struggling with a normal product let alone a LUXURY product.

Absolutely. We know the architect calls all the shots and will make all the financial decisions for the builder. There are so many examples of that in Toronto ?
I think the point is that Lanterra is paying a bundle more here and is charging a bundle more, assuming they want to create a legacy building. So, will the build quality live up to the expectations they are setting up in the buyers? You'd think that they would want to do they right thing with the extra coin they are getting… (and this is the kind of project you might find the Fentons and the Mandelbaums moving into themselves… although I have no knowledge that will be the case).

I think the point is that Lanterra is paying a bundle more here and is charging a bundle more, assuming they want to create a legacy building. So, will the build quality live up to the expectations they are setting up in the buyers? You'd think that they would want to do they right thing with the extra coin they are getting… (and this is the kind of project you might find the Fentons and the Mandelbaums moving into themselves… although I have no knowledge that will be the case).

You'd think that any builder would want to do the right thing though and many do not...or maybe they try but fail at it. Lanterra to me has always been a cut below average in terms of design with their interiors. I won't even speak on build quality. Am I supposed to believe that things will be different because this is a "luxury" building and they sunk a bunch of money into this project? I'll believe it when I see it. Reputation is all you can go on these days. If Lanterra is serious about stepping their game up then their reputation will improve.

I'm also speaking rom experience. Their build quality is mediocre at best. Go take a look at their past projects.

I do wish them well, though.

You'd think that any builder would want to do the right thing though and many do not...or maybe they try but fail at it. Lanterra to me has always been a cut below average in terms of design with their interiors. I won't even speak on build quality. Am I supposed to believe that things will be different because this is a "luxury" building and they sunk a bunch of money into this project? I'll believe it when I see it. Reputation is all you can go on these days. If Lanterra is serious about stepping their game up then their reputation will improve.

I'm also speaking rom experience. Their build quality is mediocre at best. Go take a look at their past projects.

I do wish them well, though.

For me, the same issue with respect to Plaza and the Bijou project on Bloor - trying to enter a whole new, much more upscale market at a much higher price point than would be consistent with their past experience in the downtown areas. Given their track record, will Plaza get the necessary traction in selling the building (I have not been following the sales, so no idea how it is doing - could already be sold out for all I know), and then second, presuming Plaza is able to sell the building - again, based on their past record, will they be able to build it to an appropriate quality level for the Bloor West market.

For me, the same issue with respect to Plaza and the Bijou project on Bloor - trying to enter a whole new, much more upscale market at a much higher price point than would be consistent with their past experience in the downtown areas. Given their track record, will Plaza get the necessary traction in selling the building (I have not been following the sales, so no idea how it is doing - could already be sold out for all I know), and then second, presuming Plaza is able to sell the building - again, based on their past record, will they be able to build it to an appropriate quality level for the Bloor West market.

Yes. I feel the same way about Plaza. Bijou was a step up for them, but compare to similar projects, not all that special.

1575749801638.png

Let's face it .. this is low-rent Fosters work (good to know they give everyone a design chance including maintenance staff)- basically a stepped slab.

But I like it and (as usual), materials could turn this into a retro-ish gem. Never know.

Back