Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This new to the AIC application is in for this lot at Richmond and Berkeley. This is great news, largely on the basis that it may mitigate @3Dementia 's ongoing malaise due to lack of building news he finds interesting. ;)

Site as it is:

1704461381035.png

And

1704461407344.png

The heritage is to be entirely retained.

The App:

The proposal:

1704461514685.png

1704461567127.png

1704461596950.png

1704461642580.png

1704461541197.png

1704461703180.png

1704461729136.png

Site Plan:

1704461763904.png

Ground Floor Plan:

1704461836474.png

Elevator Ratio: 5 elevators to 525 units is 0.95 elevators per 100 units

Parking Ratio: 0.2

Comments: Not much to not like. Its not a stunner architecturally, but its competent. 525 purpose-built rental units near downtown, with average sizes that are small, but not entirely absurd. Reasonable elevator and parking ratios, decent streetscape/public space plan. I'll take it. Height ask is 2s less than an immediate neighbour, it shouldn't get any arguments.

@Paclo is duly flagged

Exterior looks like it was designed by a 6 year old. I’m usually all for irregular balcony patterns, but this looks worse than if they’d kept it simple.

Rendering looking east to both 494 & 517 Richmond:
View attachment 531515
View attachment 531516
I always find it interesting how the artist's renderings make the site/surrounding area look more interesting than it is. In this case the artist chose not to show the already built Power and Adelaide building to the east because it allowed them to show more of the trees from the dog park that are now partly hidden behind that building. Extra trees is one of the tricks that artists seem to really like using to make their drawings more attractive (see for example my below link to the artist's rendering of the corner of 1 St Clair West which shows trees that just aren't there on the east side of Yonge). If only the city/developers could see/realize what the artist's see and plant more trees on city streets (which in my mind are just as if not more important than having actual parks/parkettes as some people spend a lot more time walking the streets than sitting around in parks).

1 St Clair W intersection rendering

I always find it interesting how the artist's renderings make the site/surrounding area look more interesting than it is. In this case the artist chose not to show the already built Power and Adelaide building to the east because it allowed them to show more of the trees from the dog park that are now partly hidden behind that building. Extra trees is one of the tricks that artists seem to really like using to make their drawings more attractive (see for example my below link to the artist's rendering of the corner of 1 St Clair West which shows trees that just aren't there on the east side of Yonge). If only the city/developers could see/realize what the artist's see and plant more trees on city streets (which in my mind are just as if not more important than having actual parks/parkettes as some people spend a lot more time walking the streets than sitting around in parks).

1 St Clair W intersection rendering

The link above is not to the 1 St. Clair W rendering, its to this thread.

The developer must've asked for some bottom of the barrel kind of stuff, because this doesnt look like a typical Sweeny&Co type of design and they're capable of much better.

I will say though, that the full retention of those houses on Berkeley without any facenctomy is extremely promising.

517&523 Richmond Street East & 97-115 Berkeley Street - Community Consultation Meeting

Tuesday, January 30, 2024 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
(UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

City staff invite you to join a virtual Community Consultation Meeting for a Zoning By-law Amendment at 517&523 Richmond Street East & 97-115 Berkeley Street to permit a 35-storey mixed use building.

Join us at the Virtual Community Consultation Meeting to learn more about this planning application and to have your say.

Back