Better and cheaper long term to have permanent housing than shelters.

Housing will bring down emergency services and many other bandaid costs spent to fight homelessness.

I live on Bracebridge Ave and just found out tonight, from a caring neighbour with a stick. Thank you.

Where is the due process in informing residents who take care of this neighborhood and raise their children here? Why here? The entire block and the infrastructure serves all ages of the community in wellness and fitness: hockey, curling, baseball, picnics, fireworks-and festivals, education and a dog park. The parking lot of the proposed site is constantly full as Torontonians far and wide take part and enroll in these programs or seek nature. ! It’s Stan Wadlow park in East York!! This would represent a substantial downturn.

This is not just impacting residents but we’ve made investments in the current infrastructure in order to create a wonderful urban area for kids to grow in all sorts of ways. Safely.

Further, I am in Taylor Creek Park everyday walking or cycling and there are no encampments. This makes no sense and residents will not be comfortable with this; the lack of transparency nor the impact of such a decision. The gains don’t exceed the losses in this case.

I live on Bracebridge Ave and just found out tonight, from a caring neighbour with a stick. Thank you.

Where is the due process in informing residents who take care of this neighborhood and raise their children here? Why here? The entire block and the infrastructure serves all ages of the community in wellness and fitness: hockey, curling, baseball, picnics, fireworks-and festivals, education and a dog park. The parking lot of the proposed site is constantly full as Torontonians far and wide take part and enroll in these programs or seek nature. ! It’s Stan Wadlow park in East York!! This would represent a substantial downturn.

This is not just impacting residents but we’ve made investments in the current infrastructure in order to create a wonderful urban area for kids to grow in all sorts of ways. Safely.

Further, I am in Taylor Creek Park everyday walking or cycling and there are no encampments. This makes no sense and residents will not be comfortable with this; the lack of transparency nor the impact of such a decision. The gains don’t exceed the losses in this case.

There most certainly are encampments in the park.

There are several tents visible, some are better hidden; but that's neither here nor there.

Your reaction as with some others here is disturbing in its over-blown dramatism.

It's entirely fair to have concerns; and thoughtful questions.

These, are not those.

There most certainly are encampments in the park.

There are several tents visible, some are better hidden; but that's neither here nor there.

Your reaction as with some others here is disturbing in its over-blown dramatism.

It's entirely fair to have concerns; and thoughtful questions.

These, are not those.

There are zero tents in the area that I cover daily. None in any proximity to the neighborhood we are trying to protect. None in any of the trails that families enjoy on the regular.Guaranteed. Trust me, my pointer would have uncovered them and we hike down there everyday for years now. LOL.

Yeah I’m with everyone who doesn’t want to lose their property value and who wants to keep their neighbourhood safe and thriving...if that yields me “dramatic” from a stranger who has no skin in the game...so be it!!! Least of my concerns my dear.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are zero tents in the area that I cover daily. None in any proximity to the neighborhood we are trying to protect. None in any of the trails that families enjoy on the regular.Guaranteed. Trust me, my pointer would have uncovered them and we hike down there everyday for years now. LOL.

Yeah I’m with everyone who doesn’t want to lose their property value and who wants to keep their neighbourhood safe and thriving...if that yields me “dramatic” from a stranger who has no skin in the game...so be it!!! Least of my concerns my dear.

With respect; I guarantee, I know the park better than you do!

I will not tell you where this photo was taken in the park.

Only that it is a satellite photo of Taylor Creek Park, taken within the last 2 years.

This is one location, there are others.

1614049571881.png

Last edited:
Yeah I’m with everyone who doesn’t want to lose their property value and who wants to keep their neighbourhood safe and thriving
Here's the rub though: Getting folks adequately housed takes (or should take) priority over property value. As the latter is just about a profit margin and should never be allowed to circumvent the well being of others. So to say the least, it's unethical position to take in a reasonable and just society.

As for the safety and thriving business, I am pretty sure that's a mutual goal of everyone involved, both for the homeless, housed and those with homes alike. So let's start with that.

Utakata - Your statement unfair and unjust as well. Yes I believe that we should help the homeless and getting them off the streets is important. But we also live in a democracy within a free market. I pay taxes and so does everyone else. This is were the funding goes to build projects like this. Since this probably will not effect directly since you do not live in the immediate area. Everyone you are arguing with does. I purchased my home for somewhere to live, and to make an investment. I think I have made some good choices and have done well. This investment is my "Nest Egg" for my retirement. You and the city are trying to take that away from me. If you were are to lose 20-30% of your investment, what would you say? This represents $200-$300K for everyone in this area. Count up the homes in the area. That's adds up to millions of dollars. To guilt us and say its unethical is just obtuse. How much do I have to give? I would how you would feel if a complex like this was literally built in your back yard? And 20-30% of your investment is lost. I pay taxes, I give what I can to the needy. I help and volunteer. And I should get a say and vote in my area, and not have this rammed down my throat. If you want to save the city, why don't you open up your house to the homeless? Have some of them move into your basement.
We are obviously not going to convince you, and vise versa. Just rest assured that I will personally knock on every door within the area informing people of what the city is trying to do. I have already meet with 15 property owners, and no one knows about this! Everyone is shocked! No one has been informed about this. Ironically no one wants this here. The people in this area will fight this. And I mean everyone. A tidal wave of people are about to push back. We should not be penalized for working hard, make good choices and trying to build a life.

Reactions: CDS
Utakata - Your statement unfair and unjust as well. Yes I believe that we should help the homeless and getting them off the streets is important. But we also live in a democracy within a free market. I pay taxes and so does everyone else. This is were the funding goes to build projects like this. Since this probably will not effect directly since you do not live in the immediate area. Everyone you are arguing with does. I purchased my home for somewhere to live, and to make an investment. I think I have made some good choices and have done well. This investment is my "Nest Egg" for my retirement. You and the city are trying to take that away from me. If you were are to lose 20-30% of your investment, what would you say? This represents $200-$300K for everyone in this area. Count up the homes in the area. That's adds up to millions of dollars. To guilt us and say its unethical is just obtuse. How much do I have to give? I would how you would feel if a complex like this was literally built in your back yard? And 20-30% of your investment is lost. I pay taxes, I give what I can to the needy. I help and volunteer. And I should get a say and vote in my area, and not have this rammed down my throat. If you want to save the city, why don't you open up your house to the homeless? Have some of them move into your basement.
We are obviously not going to convince you, and vise versa. Just rest assured that I will personally knock on every door within the area informing people of what the city is trying to do. I have already meet with 15 property owners, and no one knows about this! Everyone is shocked! No one has been informed about this. Ironically no one wants this here. The people in this area will fight this. And I mean everyone. A tidal wave of people are about to push back. We should not be penalized for working hard, make good choices and trying to build a life.

This is an utterly preposterous post.

As we are all paying taxes; which taxpayer would you like to see this rammed down the throat of, to use your words?

If we all got a say; and for argument's sake, all said 'no'..........exactly how would that help the homeless?

There is absolutely no evidence to support that you will lose 1/3 of the value of your home with this development.

Find me evidence that type of loss has occurred in Toronto in recent years with any type of development beside a home; never mind a type that has only existed for a few weeks.

The report to the March 2nd, 2021 meeting of Planning and Housing Committee is up.

A couple of notes:

Then Trenton Site will use only 1/2 the parking lot, it appears.

1614091548592.png

Some further descriptors:

1614091636094.png

Finally, a note that staff will be seeking to expedite approval via an MZO:

In response to City Council's request to prioritize the review and expedite the approval process for affordable housing, this report recommends that the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing be requested to make a Minister's Zoning Order pursuant to Section 47 of the Planning Act for the modular housing proposals for 175 Cummer Avenue and the lot at the corner of Trenton and Cedarvale Avenue

Screw the homeless people in the city because I might lose some money ...... gotcha.
Eagerly await to see you arms folded with a frowning face in the Toronto Star.

And don't forget to mention there is still no signage about this on the property or anywhere in the area....

The report to the March 2nd, 2021 meeting of Planning and Housing Committee is up.

A couple of notes:

Then Trenton Site will use only 1/2 the parking lot, it appears.

View attachment 301417
Some further descriptors:

View attachment 301418

Finally, a note that staff will be seeking to expedite approval via an MZO:

In response to City Council's request to prioritize the review and expedite the approval process for affordable housing, this report recommends that the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing be requested to make a Minister's Zoning Order pursuant to Section 47 of the Planning Act for the modular housing proposals for 175 Cummer Avenue and the lot at the corner of Trenton and Cedarvale Avenue
If you look at the measurements in this image: "set back from Bracebridge at 11 metres" it does not appear this image is correct.

If you look at the measurements in this image: "set back from Bracebridge at 11 metres" it does not appear this image is correct.

That image shows the 'lot'; not the building footprint.

That image shows the 'lot'; not the building footprint.
To quote you :

"Then Trenton Site will use only 1/2 the parking lot, it appears."

So this appears not to be the case per the image you posted.

If you know the lot you will know it is not possible house 64 units in three stories in 1/2 the lot.

Do you live in this area? You had a lot to say about the Dovercourt location too on UT.

To quote you :

"Then Trenton Site will use only 1/2 the parking lot, it appears."

So this appears not to be the case per the image you posted.

If you know the lot you will know it is not possible house 64 units in three stories in 1/2 the lot.

Do you live in this area? You had a lot to say about the Dovercourt location too on UT.

I'm getting utterly fed up of posters sticking 'Do you live in the area' in their posts in this thread.

Are you all the same person?

Why does that matter?

This is not a kvetch-about-housing forum; its a forum for people interested in architecture, design, engineering, public policy, development of Toronto writ-large.

Most of us who are regulars; post on a range of proposals and topics.

That said.........

I have been swimming in the Kiwannis Pool on more than one occasion. I am a regular in Taylor Creek Park.

I've been to my share of public meetings in the Clubhouse.

I've been to East York Canada Day.

So I am very familiar w/the area.

Back