IMG_4914.jpeg
IMG_4915.jpeg
IMG_4916.jpeg

It's still so wild to me that Mercer Street of all streets has become so dense. It's such a narrow, poorly lit side street. I'm hoping these developments will add some liveliness and street energy to it.

Brazillian restaurant chain Fogo de Chao which specializes in churrasco (grilling large skewers of meat over an open flame grill).

They are taking over 5,000ft2

Quite a wall of buildings developing here on the south end of the Entertainment District. I wonder if the buildings to the south of this and Nobu on the north side of Wellington might be redeveloped to towers at some point or if the sites are just too shallow and separation distance and setbacks would make it impossible/not practical.

They're condos (Tridel) that are fewer than 20 years old. Not only would a given developer need 80% of current owners to agree to sell, they'd only be able to do so at a price that exceeds what the land value of the site is likely worth. Then there's the embedded carbon argument against doing something like that...

Quite a wall of buildings developing here on the south end of the Entertainment District. I wonder if the buildings to the south of this and Nobu on the north side of Wellington might be redeveloped to towers at some point or if the sites are just too shallow and separation distance and setbacks would make it impossible/not practical.
They're condos (Tridel) that are fewer than 20 years old. Not only would a given developer need 80% of current owners to agree to sell, they'd only be able to do so at a price that exceeds what the land value of the site is likely worth. Then there's the embedded carbon argument against doing something like that...

I don't see it happening, look at the aerial pic from '22, and I measured out the combined depth of the lots under development (Nobu, and 55 Mercer) across the Tridel Condo sites:

1684865133592.png

That's 54.5M total

You've got roughly 26.5M from the south wall of the west Nobu tower to the lot line on Wellington:

1684865460641.png

The two Nobu Towers are no more than 20M apart at this point based on overhead measurements, so there's no way to sneak a tower up the middle.

55 Mercer appears to be a tiny bit further back, again its gap to Nobu appears to be ~20M.

PE has a good deal more knowledge than I about such things, but I don't see a workable footprint there.

It's tougher to say than it used to be since the Provincial Government has been making sport of shredding all municipal planning rules / guidelines / bylaws as of late. You could make it work if you elongated each tower into a slab and threw out the separation distance issue. But if we're taking into account TBG prescriptions, then no, you couldn't make a tower work on either of these lots.

Back