The 20 Niagara apartments are unusual in that they're all through-units, with light and air circulation like houses. Like houses, they have different aspects to them front and back. The Rear Window aspect to 20 Niagara's west side isn't unlike the Rear Window aspect that most homeowners enjoy when they look out from the rear of their houses. When I look out from the second floor of the rear of my house I see the rears of the houses that line the next parallel street. While not the manicured "public" faces of my neighbours' properties they are unashamedly legible for what they are, as is 20 Niagara.

http://archives.chbooks.com/online_books/eastwest/136.html

Thompson <> Drake

Yossi, are you suggesting the Thompson Hotel will become the new Drake? aka, hipster central, with $25 drinks and bottle blondes on my arm?;)

Not at all. These are two very different concepts which do not cater to the same population - making a comparison is a conceptual mistake in understanding what Thompson is all about... perhaps the following will illustrate:

Thompson moto is "treat rockstars like regular people and regular people like rockstars". They see themselves as "small luxury hotels", not "boutique hotels". With the rooftop pool and restaurants and very large amenity space, not to mention the pool/ice rink and the park across the street, it's a mini neighbourhood on its own. At least that's what Tony Cohen was saying last night.

"BYOB" - bring your own blonde.

http://www.thompsonles.com/

Last edited:
I bought here and personally I am worried about noise. Sleepless nights make for brutal early mornings on the trading floor for me. I can foresee issues with the building having to strike a balance between being a cool hangout for visiting "rockstars" and being a nice home for the 300+ Torontonians that will be living there full time. Can you have both?!

I'm having visions of trying to fall asleep on a Tuesday night while someone at the rooftop bar is blasting MSTRKRFT right in my window.

Maybe I'm just old.

The 20 Niagara apartments are unusual in that they're all through-units, with light and air circulation like houses. Like houses, they have different aspects to them front and back. The Rear Window aspect to 20 Niagara's west side isn't unlike the Rear Window aspect that most homeowners enjoy when they look out from the rear of their houses. When I look out from the second floor of the rear of my house I see the rears of the houses that line the next parallel street. While not the manicured "public" faces of my neighbours' properties they are unashamedly legible for what they are, as is 20 Niagara.

http://archives.chbooks.com/online_books/eastwest/136.html

I disagree. Buildings are three-dimensional objects which are inevitably read from different angles. When one of the sides of a building is so clearly an afterthought (though the idea of through-units is genius) one can't help but be disappointed, as I was at 20 Niagara. You've cleverly posted an image of the front of Niagara in the article you linked - does anyone have any pictures of the rear?

Seeing as this is going off the 550 Wellington 'rails' and probably won't return to them, perhaps this debate should be moved to a separate 20 Niagara thread? Mods?

All sides of the building are designed to be seen, though, so none are afterthoughts. This building is hardly alone in that. The rear end of the Kenson Apartments is visible, and different from the front, and no less interesting. The rear end of the Royal Crescent in Bath is visible, and different from the front, and no less interesting. The rear end of 20 Niagara may not be the pretty-pretty that you want - and perhaps the rears of most characteristic residential buildings on residential streets in Toronto that are visible from other residential buildings that they back onto aren't to your liking either. Core's 169 John, or their nearbye Zed, have a plain Jane aesthetic that matches 20 Niagara, and Freedville has embraced the legibility and functionality that's characteristic of Modernism and the industrial aesthetic of King and Bathurst, as it gets built out. I think the brilliance of 20 Niagara lies in how it eschews the prissy and embraces the beau laide.

I don't think this merits a separate thread - there's not much more to say about 20 Niagara that you two haven't already said.

Let's just back to 550 Wellington.

From Cityplace.

Dad%27s%20Launch%20and%20March%20Walks%20145.jpg

Dad%27s%20Launch%20and%20March%20Walks%20150.jpg

I bought here and personally I am worried about noise. Sleepless nights make for brutal early mornings on the trading floor for me. I can foresee issues with the building having to strike a balance between being a cool hangout for visiting "rockstars" and being a nice home for the 300+ Torontonians that will be living there full time. Can you have both?!

I'm having visions of trying to fall asleep on a Tuesday night while someone at the rooftop bar is blasting MSTRKRFT right in my window.

Maybe I'm just old.

If it's anything like the Thompson Hotel that i stayed it in NYC it's going be party hotel! for the "rockstars" and young people who like to show off their bling bling.

Found this today. A lot of marketing nonsense, but a few newish nuggets of info.

Accel Highrise Construction Ltd. – 550 Wellington West
Featured Content
Thursday, 05 March 2009
http://www.construction-today.com/content/view/1326/104/

For homebuyers looking to be pampered, Toronto may be the city in which to invest. There are a number of new developments going up around the city that feature unique and modern design, high-end features and amenities such as room service, housekeeping, two-story gyms and private cinemas, according to the Toronto Construction Association.

Accel Highrise Construction Ltd. is one construction manager helping to bring these designs to life. One of its current projects is 550 Wellington West, a hotel/condo hybrid, the firm explains.

When finished, the hotel section of 550 Wellington West will reach 15 stories high and have three levels of underground parking.

Located in Toronto’s Fashion District, the hotel will have 102 suites, each of which will have amenities such as a fully equipped, European-designed kitchen with stainless steel appliances, contemporary designer furnishings and an in-room washer and dryer.

“550 Wellington West defines living in style,” explains Freed Developments, the project’s developer. “Recognized as an architectural masterpiece, this 102-room lifestyle hotel will be managed by uber-chic Thompson Hotels of New York. [The structure] is located in Toronto’s decidedly fashion-forward Central King West district.

“Sought after for luxury living, the dramatic, organic architecture is inspired by award-winning firm architects Alliance. A one-of-a-kind, massive lobby will front 20-foot-high windows and connect to the courtyard and Victoria Memorial Park, while an exterior walkway connecting Stewart Street to Wellington will provide easy park access to the community.”

Accel Highrise Construction broke ground on 550 Wellington West in April 2007 and expects to finish this coming fall. The exterior of the hotel tower will have a curtainwall glazing system with sandblasted and clear glass windows, as well as pre-finished aluminum mullions.

The exterior of the condominium section will have a window wall exterior glazing system, also with pre-finished aluminum mullions. All of the condos’ balconies will be constructed of concrete with glass handrails, aluminum supports and aluminum-framed opaque glass balcony dividers. The 336-unit residential space – composed of lofts and bi-level loft homes – will be connected to approximately 30,000 square feet of amenity and lifestyle space, which was designed by New York’s Studio Gaia. Barcelona, Spain-based Studio Mariscal will provide a focal art piece in the main lobby.

Condominium interiors have been designed by Cecconi Simone and will include high-end finishes.

Other features of the condominium space include rooftop terraces, a health club, private car service, a landscaped courtyard with water features and a third-level amenity terrace with a green roof.

Units range from 400 to 2,700 square feet in size. Each residential unit will include:

An extended-height solid core entry door with contemporary brushed hardware and a security viewer;
Ceiling heights of approximately 10 feet;
Floor-to-ceiling windows;
Large, extra-wide sliding doors to the balcony, terrace and patio spaces;
Natural exposed concrete ceilings in most rooms;
Custom-designed translucent glass sliding bedroom and closet doors with anodized aluminum frames;
A stackable washer and dryer;
Remote control garage access; and
Demising party walls separated by acoustic engineered walls.
“The antidote to ordinary is 550 Welling ton West,” Freed says. “[It will have] a fresh new attitude in condominium style as interpreted by architects Alliance and Cecconi Simone,” Freed continues.

The living spaces will redefine the genre and hotel services for each home. [This includes] housekeeping, room service, laundry service, valet service, pet service and grocery delivery.”

The structure also will feature a restaurant and bar in the main lobby, and a rooftop infinity pool with an adjacent bar and lounge. The ground floor will include retail space, and a theater will be added to the building eventually, Freed says.

Elevating Design
Accel Highrise Construction has also teamed with Freed Development for the construction of 75 Portland, a 10-story, 212-unit condominium building, which should be complete in early 2010. Freed says 75 Portland “will elevate creative design and architecture to a level never seen before in Toronto,” due to the partnership of Core Architects of Toronto and London-based Yoo Ltd., as well as interior design by Philippe Starck.

“75 Portland defines extraordinary style,” Freed says. “Inside and out, it will represent a unique and imaginative collaboration derived from the ingenious minds of Yoo by Starck, Core Architects and Freed Developments.

“Described as an innovative urban jewel, it will be the destination for outstanding modern design and living.”

Philippe Starck is custom-designing the building’s courtyard – which will include stone slabs and wood decking – as well as the lobby with 18-foot glass windows and a connection to the courtyard. Other features of 75 Portland include:

Nine-foot and 19-foot ceilings on one- and two-story units, respectively;
Exposed concrete columns;
Concrete balconies with clear glass and aluminum handrails;
Parking and storage lockers;
Remote control private garage access; and
Visitor bicycle parking.
“The exterior will be an architectural gem with clear glazing in anodized aluminum frames,” Freed says. “Homeowners should expect the unexpected and be open to the element of surprise and grandeur.”

Demising party walls separated by acoustic engineered walls.

I have a friend over at 455 Adelaide. Some of the walls were tested for sound due to complaints that neighbours could hear each other. The walls just met code and nothing more.

In the end, that's all that any developer has to achieve: minimum code.

I have a friend over at 455 Adelaide. Some of the walls were tested for sound due to complaints that neighbours could hear each other. The walls just met code and nothing more.

I hear those exacts complaints from Mike Holmes weekly on Holmes on Homes.

I guess it's time to update minimum code especially now that most condos aren't built with concrete partition walls anymore. :(

From what I hear, 'acoustic engineered walls' are nothing more than some insulation sandwiched between 2x6 studs and drywall panels.

If they are going to do whats code, why would they open themselves up to criticism by mentioning the acoustics in a marketing piece? Seems like they have enough to talk about....look how long that post is!

Speaking of 455 Adelaide, I heard Freed tried to stick some sort of park revitalization fee in there as part of the closing costs of the building. The residents complained and they took it off. He better not try that action again with 550 and Victoria Memorial Park.

Back