WislaHD

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Distrikt Developments continues with their very dense proposals in Midtown Oakville, this one very close to their other nearby sites.

590 Argus Developments Inc. - 590 Argus Road​

Zoning By-law Amendment, Official Plan Amendment and Draft Plan of Subdivision
File: Z.1614.81, OPA 1614.81 & 24T-23001/1614

1686861089844.png

Teeple has a pretty good batting average, so I'm optimistic these turn out well.

Also, RIP the Holiday Inn.

Distrikt Developments continues with their very dense proposals in Midtown Oakville, this one very close to their other nearby sites.

590 Argus Developments Inc. - 590 Argus Road​

Zoning By-law Amendment, Official Plan Amendment and Draft Plan of Subdivision
File: Z.1614.81, OPA 1614.81 & 24T-23001/1614

View attachment 485580

Looks like they forgot to update the number of storeys on the right 3D view on the shorter tower.

Big height here though, especially for Oakville!

I see per Google it's about a 7 minute walk from 590 Argus Road to the Oakville GO train station. Interesting.

This article from Inside Halton and is interesting for its variety of view points and the apparent struggles to transition from a car reliant focused community, to one of greater balance.
Locally, there is a lot of talk about the height, basically twice the zoning allowance, and the impact on town services ( adding in the other announced and projected mid town developments) from schools to sewers.
And cars, and traffic, and Oakville Transit, and parking into the ‘downtown’ areas and across Speers/Cornwall. And how does all of this impact the individual working and moving around Oakville.
Big impacts in the works and lots of questions.

This article from Inside Halton and is interesting for its variety of view points and the apparent struggles to transition from a car reliant focused community, to one of greater balance.
Locally, there is a lot of talk about the height, basically twice the zoning allowance, and the impact on town services ( adding in the other announced and projected mid town developments) from schools to sewers.
And cars, and traffic, and Oakville Transit, and parking into the ‘downtown’ areas and across Speers/Cornwall. And how does all of this impact the individual working and moving around Oakville.

They need to construct that pedestrian bridge going over the QEW towards Oakville place mall. Besides the GO station, this area isn't as walkable as everyone makes it out to be. The closest grocery store closed down. The No Frills at the former Trafalgar Village Mall.
Not a lot of green space either. Very much feels like an asphalt/ concrete wasteland when I drive through.

They need to construct that pedestrian bridge going over the QEW towards Oakville place mall. Besides the GO station, this area isn't as walkable as everyone makes it out to be. The closest grocery store closed down. The No Frills at the former Trafalgar Village Mall.
Not a lot of green space either. Very much feels like an asphalt/ concrete wasteland when I drive through.

These bad boys are going to be quite the landmark for Oakville, likely visible for miles each way.

I agree that the area is a pedestrian nightmare, despite a relatively strong walk score. Other GO Stations that have seen recent development, like Burlington and Aldershot, also have limited pedestrian infrastructure.

I drive/own a car, but chose to take GO out to Oakville awhile back as I was having a resto dinner w/old friends (in downtown) and thought, I might want a second glass of wine.

So, I took GO out and caught the bus that runs on Trafalger down to the area in question.

The service was poor. Just looking it up now, its a very brief 15m window in the rush, or a part of it, then drops to 30M frequency, If they want to get people out of the cars there, they need to double (or more) service frequency on such routes.

Back