Message from local city councillor (I believe the OMB/LPAT relates to their MasterPlan for the block):

---------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: Update on Ghods Development

Dear residents,

As you are no doubt aware, several years ago an application was filed by 5959 Yonge - Ghods Builders Inc. for a very large development of the properties at 5925–5997 Yonge St., 11–25 Wedgewood Dr., 1–8 Doverwood Court and 42-54 Cummer Ave. The application was appealed to the Ontario Municipal Board (now called the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal) in 2017. Hearing dates have not been scheduled but a –preconference hearing is scheduled in March.

A revised application was received by the City on February 4, 2020

Because I was not the councillor for the area when this application was received and was not present at the community meeting, and because many residents are no doubt interested in the status of this application, I am scheduling a community information meeting for -
Tuesday, February 25, 2020
7:00 p.m.
St. John's Convent Guest House
233 Cummer Avenue

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
They seem to have picked up more land on the block, this application covers more land than previous ones.

Yes and no.

While Ghods have been assembling land here over the years; Ghods assembled lot have increased with each new development application from 2010, 2016, current,.... I recently checked city property records again and their assembled lot here is exactly the same as I stated last Spring - they own everything in Red: 5959 Yonge St, 11 & 15 WedgeWood Ave; 1, 2 & 6 Doverwood Court, 44, 46, 48 & 50 Cummer Ave
8F91086D-82F9-4B63-8C34-8F313A21B723.png

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...s-kirkor-architects.15020/page-5#post-1492573

Ghods does NOT own all the land in their latest development proposal! At the Community meeting (which was so full they had to bring in more chairs), a number of property owners were pissed that their private properties were included in Ghods development proposal!

Loophole is anybody (developer, city, any pain-in-the-@ss idiot, etc,.... ) can place a development proposal (Site Plan, Zoning change) on any property regardless of whether they own it or not! The saving grace is that even if they get development approval at City or OMB/LPAT - they can’t get a Building Permit - only registered owner of the land can apply for Building Permit.

NOTE: Unconfirmed rumour is Ghods might have agreement to purchase 17 Wedgewood Ave & 8 Doverwood Court at further date if development proposal is approved.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any info on the status of Ghods Builders? They seem to have picked up an disappeared.

I was working with them on another project (English Lane PH2) but they went completely radio silent around June of last year, and since then their info@ email bounces as undeliverable and their Facebook page has also now been removed.

Son of a b!tch,... this was approved at Ontario Land Tribunal,... not public yet,... but wow!
- And if you re-read my previous post,... "Ghods does NOT own all the land in their latest development proposal!",... so double wow!!!
- And site is technically outside of North York Center Secondary Plan,... so triple wow!!!! I guess City Planning will now have to trigger their draft form Yonge Street North Draft into Yonge Street North Secondary Plan ASAP now!

I'm currently in the process of researching an article I'd like to put together on this travesty (full disclosure, I have a personal involvement). Would love to hear from anyone who has information, insights or reflections that they feel like sharing.

@sunnyraytoronto you are on the top of my wish list--would love to hear more of your analysis.

I'm currently in the process of researching an article I'd like to put together on this travesty (full disclosure, I have a personal involvement). Would love to hear from anyone who has information, insights or reflections that they feel like sharing.

@sunnyraytoronto you are on the top of my wish list--would love to hear more of your analysis.
Hmmm,... newbie poster, don't mention which paper your "article" is for, nor does your full disclosure - discloses anything,... I'll pass.

Hmmm,... newbie poster, don't mention which paper your "article" is for, nor does your full disclosure - discloses anything,... I'll pass.
Totally legit grounds for suspicion. I am new here. This is not my normal research focus.

I am not a print journalist affiliated with a particular publication, nor did I describe the details of my involvement right away as that seemed premature. On the latter point, I have a close connection to the current owners of one of the residential properties inside the project area. That's the only reason I came to be aware of this issue, but it's obviously a great entree to discussing larger themes around governance and how development is handed in the city.

I would still very much like to hear from you (or anyone else here, for that matter), as this forum is a source I'll be citing and it would be great to be able to ask follow up questions. However, I do realize this request may not fall within everyone's comfort zone.

Totally legit grounds for suspicion. I am new here. This is not my normal research focus.

I am not a print journalist affiliated with a particular publication, nor did I describe the details of my involvement right away as that seemed premature. On the latter point, I have a close connection to the current owners of one of the residential properties inside the project area. That's the only reason I came to be aware of this issue, but it's obviously a great entree to discussing larger themes around governance and how development is handed in the city.

I would still very much like to hear from you (or anyone else here, for that matter), as this forum is a source I'll be citing and it would be great to be able to ask follow up questions. However, I do realize this request may not fall within everyone's comfort zone.
Like I've said,... I'll pass.

I've already posted everything I'm willing to share about Ghod's 5959 Yonge here on UrbanToronto - in this thread and maybe other nearby threads - I tend to ramble and bitch all over the place. So if what you're looking for is there, it's there,... if not, it's not.

You'll probably have better luck chatting with folks listed as Party on the OMB/OLT decision (PL110316 & PL200313) link posted previously - including Anne of Silverview Community Association and Catherine from the Cllr Filion's office.

Like I've said,... I'll pass.

I've already posted everything I'm willing to share about Ghod's 5959 Yonge here on UrbanToronto - in this thread and maybe other nearby threads - I tend to ramble and bitch all over the place. So if what you're looking for is there, it's there,... if not, it's not.

You'll probably have better luck chatting with folks listed as Party on the OMB/OLT decision (PL110316 & PL200313) link posted previously - including Anne of Silverview Community Association and Catherine from the Cllr Filion's office.
Fair enough, and thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

Fair enough, and thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated.
Trust me,... the two Party I mentioned - are the best contact for someone who owns property within the project area.
- Catherine is manages the developer/planning file in Cllr Filion's ward
- Anne is past president of Silverview Community Association and she attend all theses OMB/OLT hearings in the area including this Ghod's 5959 Yonge and Silverwood's redevelopment of Newtonbrook Plaza

Is Ghods actually going to build and sell here? Who would issue construction financing to them considering they already went down once?

Back