artyboy123

Member Bio
Reaction score
Taken from DevApp:

"Site Plan Approval submitted. Details pending."

DevApp Link: http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do?folderRsn=boeITi45SUEUyRc01v0+TQ==

Photo of the current site at 598 The Queensway:

598 The Queensway.JPG

Hope whatever comes here has some street-facing retail and meets the (hopefully widened) sidewalk. It would be nice to start to cure this dead patch and to extend the livelier part of the Queensway eastwards.
Unfortunately, looks like there will be no retail here :(

So narrow minded by our city planners.

Queensway will most likely get better transit at some point in time and the development, retail options and density should be in line with that.

The pro is that is looks pretty sharp (everything minus the 1st floor). The big con is that it faces away from The Queensway and provides no form of dynamic street presence to that side of the street.

Typically I would be banging at the door and screaming for retail, but this stretch of Queensway is a deadzone.

This is precisely where retail should be required. You have Toms Dairy Freeze and Mamma Martino's just a block away, which bring large walk-up crowds, extending that is important. Would be nice to have ground level retail from Park Lawn to help make The Queensway the avenue it is meant to be.

I don't think there's the foot traffic to justify it. Continuing east, there's really nothing (unless you go south on Park Lawn) until Stephen Drive or so. It would be an extremely difficult lease, except at a decently discounted rate.

Maybe, I'm out to lunch. I believe @interchange42 is a somewhat distant local: is there foot traffic to justify retail in this building?

I don't think there's the foot traffic to justify it. Continuing east, there's really nothing (unless you go south on Park Lawn) until Stephen Drive or so. It would be an extremely difficult lease, except at a decently discounted rate.

Maybe, I'm out to lunch. I believe @interchange42 is a somewhat distant local: is there foot traffic to justify retail in this building?
It might be a good spot for live/work units at grade, that's it.

Not every building should or needs a retail space! As there are existing retail spots and a plaza nearby within 10-15 minute walking distance.

I don't hate this building, but I'm not really happy with where its proposed - I actually think it's a model that could be copy and pasted all over the city, especially in post war yellow belt neighbourhoods where lot sizes are big.

Again, some of Etobicoke's biggest institutions (read money makers) are at grade retail one block west of there - so I wouldn't say "that's it".

Tom's Dairy Freeze is huge for a couple of warm nights a year, okay, several. Seasonal. A Good place for Christmas trees or ice cream does not a retail strip make.

Mamma Martino's though, maybe a bit, but what else on that strip draws anyone but absolute locals? I think when you head to that area, either you're just walking a block from your home to a local shop, or maybe you're coming in a car from a couple km away for cheap spaghetti or pizza (and that great dressing on MM's salads, ohmigosh…)

In my view, improving walkability should be done one project at a time (with proper long-term planning). Adding retail is the easiest way to do it. Although, it might look out of place for few years.

At one point there will be more buildings along this stretch. Potentially also a streetcar, or lrt (maybe Ontario Line - one can dream?). Then, I believe, it will be evident that the opportunity was missed for buildings, such as this one.

Back