innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
New 12 storey proposal on the mountain in Hamilton. Rymal is a part of the BLAST transit network and has relatively high transit frequencies by Hamilton standards.

639 Rymal 1.png
639 Rymal 2.png
639 Rymal 3.png
639 Rymal 4.png

Progress, sort of.........

I had a look at the area via google......

For a priority transit route w/intensification, there is a need for more grocery options. The nearest supermarket that comes up is Fortinos 2.27km away.

I love to see little independent food stores, butchers, bakers, green grocers, but you really do need a supermarket every 2km or so minimum so that people living on/adjacent to a main street are rarely more than 1km away, ideally
they'd be even a bit closer given the distance between major roads.

Speaking of shopping Rymal needs to be more a 'High street' way too much residential at grade, the past is the past (though it will evolve through redevelopment); but there is a need to ensure that redevelopment brings about the right
kind of built-form and options for shopping, community services, healthcare etc .

Hamilton is different than Toronto in that most of its original concession roads are completely lined with large lot rural residential dwellings dating mostly from the 1940's through 1960's. It makes for a unique circumstance where subdivisions develop more haphazardly and stay away from the main streets, leaving the large lots along the main streets for intensification potential like this. Between this condition and Hamilton's much denser concession grid than most of the GTA (800m x 1km, compared to 2km x 2km for most of the GTA), it creates a very different feel to its suburbs as the roads don't have to be as large for traffic capacity (cars are spread across more streets) and you have a variety of residential and commercial properties fronting directly onto most arterial roads.

That said, this is about as suburban of a location as it gets for Hamilton. It's right on the edge of the Meadowlands area in Ancaster, which is a high end new construction residential suburb which is heavily car focused, and one of the most desirable areas in the city to live. I'm not expecting any miracles here in terms of urbanism.

Hamilton is different than Toronto in that most of its original concession roads are completely lined with large lot rural residential dwellings dating mostly from the 1940's through 1960's. It makes for a unique circumstance where subdivisions develop more haphazardly and stay away from the main streets, leaving the large lots along the main streets for intensification potential like this. Between this condition and Hamilton's much denser concession grid than most of the GTA (800m x 1km, compared to 2km x 2km for most of the GTA), it creates a very different feel to its suburbs as the roads don't have to be as large for traffic capacity (cars are spread across more streets) and you have a variety of residential and commercial properties fronting directly onto most arterial roads.

Informative, thanks. I've been Hamilton a few times over the year, but I hadn't specifically observed this.....

That said, this is about as suburban of a location as it gets for Hamilton. It's right on the edge of the Meadowlands area in Ancaster, which is a high end new construction residential suburb which is heavily car focused, and one of the most desirable areas in the city to live. I'm not expecting any miracles here in terms of urbanism.

Not miracles; just material improvement that sets the stage for better over the long term. New development, in all likelihood will be with us for 3 or more generations.......so important to get it right.

Back