Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
A plan to convert the Bond Place Hotel into affordable housing:

65 DUNDAS ST E
Ward 13: Toronto Centre

To convert the existing hotel building into an apartment building with a total of 280 affordable housing units.

-----------
bonp.JPG

A plan to convert the Bond Place Hotel into affordable housing:

65 DUNDAS ST E
Ward 13: Toronto Centre

To convert the existing hotel building into an apartment building with a total of 280 affordable housing units.

-----------
View attachment 423665

This is basically a good idea; in that we desperately need additional affordable housing.

My only caveat would be, the actual income mix.

That is to say if these are all 'rapid housing' or 'deeply affordable housing' I would be concerned about the risk of it developing into one of those buildings with a negative reputation and unpleasant environment for tenants.

I would also worry about the sustained cost of operation. I would prefer to see a mix of deeply affordable, workforce-affordable and even some full market rent units and use any savings to achieve through added rent to support even more affordable housing.

Edit to Add: I have reviewed the cover letter and plans, it would appear they are intending to keep the current layout intact, subject to minor alterations (remove 8 rooms/units); this means we're looking at hotel-room sized affordable housing, I'm fine w/that for the smaller SRO-style Rapid Housing TO builds we've seen, but 280 such units on one site does not sound promising to me at all.

Vancouver has a long-time experience w/this type of housing, and it's not stellar over-all.

I think this type of housing is certainly preferable to shelters; and is a good first-step, Housing First plan for single homeless persons; but it's a very questionable choice in terms of permanent affordable housing.
I also think, a poor choice at-scale. My perference would be to see a re-fit of a large part of the complex, swapping out 2 rooms for one-bedroom units, and 3-rooms for 2-bedroom units and getting a mix of affordable housing on site.

There are a enough risers (since each room has its own bathroom) that this should be a reasonable choice without undue renovation costs.

Last edited:
It’s a shame to see more and more of the more affordable downtown hotels close, they are important amenities for the city as well, even if it is for a worthy cause like this.

I agree with @Northern Light. At first glance this appears like a good idea, but we've how this plays out having just 1 income group in a building or neighborhood. I dont think this is going to end up playing out well at all.

Honestly this is just a "cheap fix" but it just brings us right back to the problem the city has been trying to rectify over the past decades by having various income groups live in a given area.

I agree with @Northern Light. At first glance this appears like a good idea, but we've how this plays out having just 1 income group in a building or neighborhood. I dont think this is going to end up playing out well at all.

Honestly this is just a "cheap fix" but it just brings us right back to the problem the city has been trying to rectify over the past decades by having various income groups live in a given area.

The key here, from my point of view, is that you can be un-balanced; on a small scale...........where the benefit will out weight the risk/harm......

but at 280 units.............we're just in a different place, than a 60-unit project.

I grew up in public housing and im strongly against this kind of housing. Since most people on this forum seem to disagree from what I've seen, I'll leave it there. Not a good idea in my books.

Bit of a waste of the potential of the site?

AoD

The northern approach of helicopters for St. Mike's is just about where this is located.......

I'm not sure if a height restriction applies here, but it does across the street; and this being closer to St. Mike's I wonder if the redevelopment potential is there? (on a market basis).

Back