Here's a shot of ex-Tom Jones from above, not my photo.

1656619790121.png

I think it's noted above, but the information out there right now is that a law firm is moving in, though I've never heard which firm.

As an aside, I had lunch with a few people yesterday from a firm that has now moved into the Well, and they are really happy with their space and looking forward to the rest of the complex opening.

They are prepared to wait for a suitable tenant, none of the pot shops and dry cleaners so welcomed by others.
No joke, more than half of retail space on King Street East between Yonge and River is vacant. It looks terrible and provides no services to the neighbourood. Unfortunately, it seems a lot of landlords are “waiting for the right tenant” (a.k.a. charging too much rent for small business). While I’m not blaming this development, it’s been a problem for a long while. I think there should be a heavy tax on vacant ground-level retail space.

No joke, more than half of retail space on King Street East between Yonge and River is vacant. It looks terrible and provides no services to the neighbourood. Unfortunately, it seems a lot of landlords are “waiting for the right tenant” (a.k.a. charging too much rent for small business). While I’m not blaming this development, it’s been a problem for a long while. I think there should be a heavy tax on vacant ground-level retail space.
This is more or less my exact sentiment. Multiple restaurants have closed with nothing filling their place. There are many beautiful retail spaces with character but it's almost a complete deadzone on this strip. I feel like it has more to do with greedy landlords than anything else. It has so much potential to be just as vibrant as King W. At least there's The Score on King 🤷‍♂️.

This is more or less my exact sentiment. Multiple restaurants have closed with nothing filling their place. There are many beautiful retail spaces with character but it's almost a complete deadzone on this strip. I feel like it has more to do with greedy landlords than anything else. It has so much potential to be just as vibrant as King W. At least there's The Score on King 🤷‍♂️.
Though saying "more than half of retail space on King Street East between Yonge and River is vacant" is clearly an exaggeration, it is true there is a lot of vacant retail. There are clearly general explanations for this as the retail and restaurant business everywhere has been massively disrupted by covid. However, there are also local 'reasons". Quite a bit of the vacant retail is new (e.g. 65 King): it takes time to attract good tenants and, in my opinion, better to wait for a suitable tenant than grab at anything that shows up - we really do not need more pot shops or nail bars or dentist offices (yes, 158 Front, I am talking about you!). In other cases the building is about to be redeveloped (e.g. the block between Princess & Ontario) so existing tenants are moving out and new ones are not prepared to sign short leases even if offered. In other cases the block is being assessed for development (e,g. the block on south side of King from Jarvis to George), again. Leases may not be available and if they are they may not be attractive as the term will be short.

Back