For those who are click-averse, or not getting previews, the above is a statement from Jessica Bell of the NDP noting that this building is 60% vacant, and musing about whether the City's vacant home tax should apply.

That's an extremely high number for any building, even one with heavy construction, especially in such a desirable location.

Would be interesting to understand why since this is rental accommodation and no income is no income.

Cromwell have a put a lot of money into the renos, so you wouldn't think redevelopment of the existing tower was the plan............

As an add-on, I found this in the comments of tweet:

Barcelona Seizes Apartments

It's a story from 2020 in which Barelona threatened to seize apartments if landlords didn't rent them out.

Last edited:
For those who are click-averse, or not getting previews, the above is a statement from Jessica Bell of the NDP noting that this building is 60% vacant, and musing about whether the City's vacant home tax should apply.

That's an extremely high number for any building, even one with heavy construction, especially in such a desirable location.

Would be interesting to understand why since this is rental accommodation and no income is no income.

Cromwell have a put a lot of money into the renos, so you wouldn't think redevelopment of the existing tower was the plan............

As an add-on, I found this in the comments of tweet:

Its a story from 2020 in which Barelona threatened to sieze apartments if landlord's didn't rent them out.
I have noticed a steady increase in tenants, building was practically empty peak covid/construction as it was not pleasant. It's also generally a pretty student heavy population. The rents they're hoping to extract, nearly $1700/mo for a studio, is pretty crazy, but not more than pre-covid.

To be fair, majority of the units now are renovated, and quite spacious + good layouts, better imo than a lot of new builds.

I also suspect that the public building reviews have yet to recover, the management is vastly improved from a few years ago, but the review sites might not reflect that.

6a0yxq.jpg

Source

I see you reminiscing about 2015 and raise you a 2006 two bedroom suburban rental for $1050 where my family lived at the time.

For the north end of the property, at Spadina & Sussex:

New Park at 51 Sussex Avenue

A new 600m2 park is coming to 51 Sussex Ave. Opens in new window as part of a residential development project near Spadina Avenue and Sussex Avenue in the Harbord Village neighbourhood.

Project Timeline

• May 2022: Community engagement
  • July 2022: Hire a design team
  • August to September 2022: Design development and community engagement
  • October to December 2022: Detailed design
  • March 2023: Hire a construction team
  • May 2023: Construction starts
  • September 2023: Construction complete, park opens
The timeline is subject to change.

Back