AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
More density for the Yonge & Eg area.

Current building: http://www.timbercreekcommunities.com/find-your-home/toronto/apartment_rentals/75-broadway-avenue

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...ion=init&folderRsn=4146372&isCofASearch=false

75 BROADWAY AVE
Ward 22 - Tor & E.York District

Zoning By-law Amendment to demolish a small portion of the existing building, containing 20 units, (2 on each floor), and construct a 40 storey apartment building containing 402 rental units, directly adjacent to the existing building. The new building and the existing building will not be linked except in the underground parking garage.

From Architectural Plans:

upload_2017-5-3_9-10-39.png

upload_2017-5-3_9-11-0.png

upload_2017-5-3_9-11-10.png

upload_2017-5-3_9-11-22.png

WZMH

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-3_9-10-39.png
    upload_2017-5-3_9-10-39.png
    536 KB · Views: 2,796
  • upload_2017-5-3_9-11-0.png
    upload_2017-5-3_9-11-0.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 2,544
  • upload_2017-5-3_9-11-10.png
    upload_2017-5-3_9-11-10.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 2,116
  • upload_2017-5-3_9-11-22.png
    upload_2017-5-3_9-11-22.png
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,989
Front page update:
Adding to the steady pace of development plans proposed within Toronto's infill capital, Yonge and Eglinton, another application brought forth by Timbercreek Communities has been submitted to the City for a site at 75 Broadway Avenue. The newly tabled rezoning application seeks to demolish a portion of the existing 10-storey apartment building on the western half of the site, in order to allow a 40-storey tower containing 402 rental units. The 20 units currently existing within the northwestern half of the building will be replaced in the new plans, as mandated by the City.

Ha! I remember someone on this forum saying this exact building was an example of the "tower in the park" concept where intensification/infill would not be able to improve the site due to the parking garage. I argued that development over the garage was a possibility. Funny to see that actually being proposed now.

Found it!

I don't think this kind of build form is as simple to fix as you seem to imply. Just walk on any side street in the Yonge & Eglinton area and look at all the driveways and parking lots lining the street in front of every apartment building. Their presence really deadens the street, that combined with the heavy traffic and tiny sidewalks make for an unpleasant pedestrian experience despite intense development in recent years. But unlike Emerald City, a lot of the wasted land here is too small to redevelop, and I doubt that the parking garages can be relocated. What could possibly be done about this?

View attachment 68064

View attachment 68065

Widen the sidewalk, build out the ground floor towards the new sidewalk, and build over the parking garage entrance or leave it as is.

These aren't exactly the types of towers in the park I was referring to though.

The unit sizes seem atrocious. 754 square feet is the biggest "two bedroom + den" unit. Are the bedrooms going to fit any actual bed?

Also, I hate the idea of a building being physically separated into two parts. Reminds me a lot of the "poor door" thing that's common in New York. If they're building new amenities the city should require them to be available to everyone, not just the people in the fancy new rental units.

They are accessible to the people in the old building. The amenity space in the new building can be accessed from the rooftop of the old building (exterior amenity space)

Back