There are also too many controlled intersections in this area (reminds me of Yonge between 7 and Major Mac). It's really frustrating because it's so unnecessary for every dinky old plaza to have its own lights. I wish they would change the redundant intersections to RIROs and have an access road going through the back of every site/parcel.
I feel vindicated given the recently posted evidence on the forum that Toronto has 3x the stoplights per capita versus Holland with no corresponding safety improvement.

Holland has round abouts
so does Ontario!

The Netherlands designs roads very differently than Canada, generally separating car traffic onto dedicated arterials more. Something like Highway 7, with 6 lanes of traffic, bike lanes, sidewalks, street fronting retail, and a BRT, would never ever happen.

A typical dutch arterial looks more like this:

wide right of way, grade seperated pedestrian crossings, few stop lights.

You then exit the arterial into the local neighbourhoods into smaller, super local streets.

That is why the netherlands has far fewer signalized intersections, not because it hs thousands of extra roundabouts (though that is a small part of it)

IMG_0520.jpeg

I feel vindicated given the recently posted evidence on the forum that Toronto has 3x the stoplights per capita versus Holland with no corresponding safety improvement.
You are comparing a city vs a country. Cities have higher density and stop lights vs exurbs and countryside.

Maybe, but it's absolutely the case that our transportation planners are infatuated with traffic lights for no reason.

It's what people in North America are used to and want. And it's also better for pedestrians to have more opportunities to safely cross the road.

Again, Holland has way fewer per capita and does pedestrian safety much better.

Lights aren't the only street design consideration when it comes to pedestrian safety.

Things like curb extensions, speed bumps, sightlines, lighting and narrow traffic lanes all make a difference. And we're lacking on all of those.

Back