Ok for those who want to see what was there just before demolition, and whether it might have been worth saving, attached are pictures I took on Saturday while I was walking by and the buildings were fenced off and being prepped for demo.
DSC03606 - Copy - Copy.JPG
DSC03607.JPG
DSC03608.JPG
DSC03609 - Copy.JPG

If the early comment made about Brad Lamb pertains to this site, then yeah he was one of the original Wolves of King Street after all. Probably aim for a condo in the 12 to 18 storey range.

Some commentary from this BlogTO article:

The collection of early-to-mid-20th-century commercial and industrial buildings would have in theory been protected by the King-Spadina HCD established in 2016.

If that wasn't enough, further protection was added when 12 and 18 Camden were added to the City's Heritage Register in 2017.

It turns out none of these protections were enough to save the buildings: The demolition permits actually predate the HCD's establishment by just a few weeks, exempting the buildings from preservation. The Heritage Register listing also came far too late.

City councillor Joe Cressy tells blogTO, "My office heard concerns from neighbours about these demolitions, and I asked Toronto Buildings to send inspectors and look into the issue. The preliminary response that I received from Toronto Buildings is that there appear to be valid demolition permits in the system for these locations, dating back from 2016. However, I am awaiting any further updates following the inspections."

"Early Saturday morning crews and equipment started to simultaneously demolish five properties on Camden Street," said Valerie Eggertson, Secretary and Founder of the GDNA. "The GDNA immediately contacted its Councillor's office and received information that those properties indeed had demolition permits."

Although this is pretty valuable real estate - will it end up being a gravel parking lot for a few years?

Although this is pretty valuable real estate - will it end up being a gravel parking lot for a few years?

A parking lot or a fenced off empty lot would be likely for at least 2 years or possibly more. Despite the quick action to demolish the buildings, there's been no application submitted to propose a new building yet. It all depends now on when they make the first submission and how it goes through the usual approval process. Assuming they do so within the calendar year or early 2022, along with sales not being a problem to achieve here, getting the permits in place and all, then construction activity may start in approximately 2 years or so.

Nov 30, 2021

Noticed resident moving out. This building is also scheduled for demolition (per post on previous page).

646CC1D3-D306-4A3D-9411-FE32D0E2383D_1_201_a.jpeg

As per this diagram, it is already conceptualized that something (at least/around) 18 storeys should be expected here in the future:

3-png.365955

December 29: The site has been mostly cleared, only the west most building remaining for demolition to be completed, with Priestly busy on site today. Two new LAMB development signs are on site, ready for installation. One of them is visible in the second photo below, upside down, at the back of the site. The other LAMB sign was in the south-west corner of the site about to be moved.

20211229_084043.jpg

20211229_084022.jpg

Back