1AFF7E6C-7F9F-4257-A03C-BD5D16B8EC25.jpeg
F4FF2198-713F-4D12-93A2-BC0664F84156.jpeg

Judging by the most recent photos, aren't both the buildings on Yonge demo'd? Either they plan on some PoMo style façade recreations or perhaps the rendering hasn't been updated to reflect this (significant) change yet? Wouldn't be surprised if the developer decided to forego the façade retention as it undoubtedly has a considerable affect on the logistics of the site.
The old facades were cut into panels and will be placed back after the brickwork is restored.

Can't wait for that bunker (Chelsea Hotel) to come down. It was awful the day it went up and we've been stuck looking at it for 47 years .......and counting.
I realize this is way off-topic, but another one I'd love to see get swallowed up by Mother Earth is the Sheraton Centre across from Nathan Phillips Square. Aside from being just godawful ugly, its street realm interaction(or lack thereof) is absolutely appalling. Guess I won't be holding my breath on that one!

Last edited:
I realize this is way off-topic, but another one I'd love to see get swallowed up by Mother Earth is the Sheraton Centre across from Nathan Phillips Square. Aside from being just godawful ugly, its street realm interaction(or lack thereof) is absolutely appalling. Guess I won't be holding my breath on that one!
Imagine a Well-style development across from Nathan Phillips Square like that, or on this block with 8 Elm and the plot the Chelsea is on - it would completely change the landscape of Yonge above Dundas.

The Sheraton Centre is one of the best buildings in the city, one of the finest examples of brutalist high rise architecture on the continent, and one of the last great examples still in existence. It's continually astonishing how many Torontonians are willing to destroy part of their architectural heritage simply because it doesn't fit current aesthetic preferences.

The very LAST THING that area needs is to strip it of yet another layer of architectural layering. And for what? To replace it with an aesthetic we're building all over the city? The Sheraton Centre is irreplaceable. Its loss would be a devastating blow to Toronto.

Last edited:
The Sheraton Centre is one of the best buildings in the city, one of the finest examples of brutalist high rise architecture on the continent, and one of the last great examples still in existence. It's continually astonishing how many Torontonians are willing to destroy part of their architectural heritage simply because it doesn't fit current aesthetic preferences.

The very LAST THING that area needs is to strip it of yet another layer of architectural layering. And for what? To replace it with an aesthetjic we're building all over the city? The Sheraton Centre is irreplaceable. Its loss would be a devastating blow to Toronto.
I couldn't agree more with the need to preserve this city's architectural heritage, and that includes its brutalist past. Though brutalism is not everyone's cup of tea, there are many 'fine' examples worthy of preservation, including the old Sears building at 222 Jarvis and the U of T Robarts Library. However, IMO, the Sheraton Centre is not in that same category. Its monolith-like hulk overlooks one of this city's greatest public spaces yet still manages to turn its back on it, and at street level is tantamount to walking stretches of the former Berlin wall. Again, it's just my opinion, but thankfully here at UT, all opinions are welcome.

Back