Does anyone know what happened to CanAlfa? All the Liveinliberty/Shopinliberty websites are defunct. Is this project still CanAlfa?

Not sure what happened to CanAlfa but Collecdev / Markee is a different outfit who have purchased the site from the former owner.

Interesting observation from folks on twitter regarding tower floor plate size. If you account for 1.8m corridor widths, you're left with about 13.87m of saleable space - roughly about 6.9m for each unit. Which is actually somewhat reasonable. It's not ideal since most of your units may end up being wide-shallow, but at least you get good sunlight. And as noted in the arch plans, a number of the 1 bedroom units can be combined to form 2 or 3 beds - which will help alleviate the elevator issue as raised by some here.

Do we know if there are more slender towers in the city? This proposal might actually be the narrowest

Attachments

• 1705011247033.png
    1705011247033.png
    855.5 KB · Views: 16
Why stop at only a few dozen thread updates in one day?

Turns out there was a resubmission on this in January '24.

While much of that likely relates to filling in details that were missed (in Nov '23 a notice of incomplete application was issued) but there is this render:

1708726499157.png

I'll let @Paclo figure out if they made any material changes.

Some Liberty Village folks trying to stop this project:

The audacity is actually hilarious. "I don't want any more large condo buildings near my large condo building!"
I think the petition is needed to save the entire heritage structure instead. I might make one.
Unfortunately there wouldn't be anywhere to put a tower with proper setback in that case. Also, I think retaining half is perfectly acceptable here. The rear half of the building is abandoned and most of the windows have been patched with new brick and it's pretty ugly and not easily reversible, while the front half has been renovated including a new steel roof, and it still has the old A.R. Williams Machinery Co. painted sign on the front. Point is, I don't think losing the rear half is that big of a loss when the front half has been and will be maintained so well. That's just my two cents

The audacity is actually hilarious. "I don't want any more large condo buildings near my large condo building!"

Unfortunately there wouldn't be anywhere to put a tower with proper setback in that case. Also, I think retaining half is perfectly acceptable here. The rear half of the building is abandoned and most of the windows have been patched with new brick and it's pretty ugly and not easily reversible, while the front half has been renovated including a new steel roof, and it still has the old A.R. Williams Machinery Co. painted sign on the front. Point is, I don't think losing the rear half is that big of a loss when the front half has been and will be maintained so well. That's just my two cents
I used to think like this, and to be clear, NIMBYism anywhere is stupid, but I do believe there is merit to the thought process here. Toronto's planning policy has for decades been continued, servile, retrenchment of the obvious wealth protection enshrined in things like the Yellowbelt and the systems which protect it (no new density, angular planes, minimum lot frontages and areas, etc.). While fighting an individual project is silly, why couldn't this have gone on a mansion lot in the Bridle Path? Or an assembly in Cabbagetown? Or a couple of old stately homes in The Annex? There's no reason at all, and I think folks saying 'hey why don't you take some of this effing density' is a perfectly appropriate response to the ceaseless redevelopment of some areas contrasted with the comical, leap-in-front-of-a-train protectionism of others.

I used to think like this, and to be clear, NIMBYism anywhere is stupid, but I do believe there is merit to the thought process here. Toronto's planning policy has for decades been continued, servile, retrenchment of the obvious wealth protection enshrined in things like the Yellowbelt and the systems which protect it (no new density, angular planes, minimum lot frontages and areas, etc.). While fighting an individual project is silly, why couldn't this have gone on a mansion lot in the Bridle Path? Or an assembly in Cabbagetown? Or a couple of old stately homes in The Annex? There's no reason at all, and I think folks saying 'hey why don't you take some of this effing density' is a perfectly appropriate response to the ceaseless redevelopment of some areas contrasted with the comical, leap-in-front-of-a-train protectionism of others.
Shhh soon people will start questioning why everyone thinks building rental apartments is good but building rental single detached homes are "big bad developers wrecking the Canadian/American Dream"

I can somewhat understand the frustration. A friend of mine owns a detached house right near Islington and Bloor, an area which is seeing a significant number of highrise proposals, and he's quite exasperated that Bloor Street for example, is almost entirely lined with 2 storey buildings from downtown all the way to Etobicoke, even right by subway stations.

Back