I don't think the current facade just covers the original brick. I'm pretty sure they completely removed the brick and just replaced it. Because you can see in the sections where the original brick remains, the new facade is flush with it.
No from what I read they actually mortared the grey stone on top - the brick remains - its just desintigrating underneath. You can see this around the windows - they are flush with the stone around it - it's been placed on top - the brick is still underneath.

I don't think that's the case. you can pretty clearly see on the north side of the building that the original brick has been removed.

I don't think that's the case. you can pretty clearly see on the north side of the building that the original brick has been removed.
That might be the case in some places, but the developer stated during the planning meeting that the faux stone is covering the brick underneath for the majority of the structure.

Exactly - I think on the 2 walls we don't see that's not the case but the 2 sides facing the road it is - because the stone goes right up to the stone under the windows enclosing it - they commented on it in the meeting in the video.

Some light here ....

So glad to see that. That building has zero cultural heritage value. There are certainly Churches in Hamilton that have heritage value, but this is simply not one of them. Tear it down! We need the housing, and we need the economic prosperity this proposal will bring to the downtown core.

While it's always sad to see a sickly loved one pass on, I think given the circumstances, it's the best call here. To my understanding, restoring the bricks would fall on the congregation, and I'd say their limited money is of much greater benefit to our community financing the Philpott Church Centre—which is planned to have services for—among other things—low-income families, people with addictions, and unhoused people.

Not to mention, the building isn't fully getting torn down, the columns, stained-glass windows, and floors are all still under heritage protection, and will be incorporated into the new development. Moreover, since the walls are in a state that needs to be rebuilt anyway—in my opinion—we might as well rebuild them in a way that adds housing/commercial in a very central location. Though I agree there are other issues with the current state of housing, such as the over-supply of shoeboxes, and lack of starter home affordability, I cannot see a world where shoebox bachelors can possibly retain their high price point while homeowners across Hamilton and Toronto are now able to add bachelors into their homes or as laneways. I can't see a way they can compete with those, though time will tell! (...But I digress! 😅)

Ultimately, while I am sad to see another example of Hamilton's classical architecture be replaced by yet another building in the SketchUp Style, I do think, aesthetics aside, in this circumstance, this is probably the best move for our community. I also think this side of York is pretty dead, and the planned commercial looks to be a much welcome addition to help liven things up (...Here's to hoping a road diet will follow! 🤞). Lastly, I believe our cities are dynamic ecosystems that need fluidity to change overtime. Yes, churches are some of the loveliest buildings around, but they're not easily adaptable into the things our city acutely needs right now.

I will say however, I am a little worried the market might crash some time between demolition and construction... Let's all hope this doesn't lead to another James Street Baptist Church situation... 😬

From Joey Coleman on X - Apparently, the City will allow the demolition of the church. Attached are some photos I took tonight of the existing building.

Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 10.25.54 PM.png

IMG_3395.jpg
IMG_3390.jpg
IMG_3391.jpg

*adds another one to vanished hamilton*

all for a google sketchup-esque design to replace it.. sighs..

Well at least the render shows rounded glass.. I mean.. if that's what even gets built. It's more the fact something so lackluster is taking its place that bothers me.

Should have included the relocation and demolition on the Salvation Army building as part of condition. But hey a good result, let's hope it actually gets built.

Should have included the relocation and demolition on the Salvation Army building as part of condition. But hey a good result, let's hope it actually gets built.
Feels like the overall development market has stalled out for now. But let's see.

It sets a bad precedent to demolish the other buildings along that strip that ARE of heritage value though, which is a tad worrying.. namely the one beautiful building to the east - I'd hate to see that one go.

That's difference though - that building DOES have heritage value while this doesn't. We shouldn't be applying a blanket label to them all but evaluate individually. You're right in that it would be a shame to lose that one, and should the time come it's hopefully protected.

This church though -- no loss

Apparently the building that "The Hub" is located in also just went up for sale. Wow, we might actually see some positive change in this area! Amazing news. Hopefully the Good Shepherd closes or relocates somewhere soon too. The 'entertainment district' might finally be happening.

Back