jta5

Member Bio
Reaction score
Interesting proposal in east downtown Kitchener at the site of a row of historic yellow-brick detached homes, a few doors down from The Scott and basically across the street from the recently-completed Civic 66 apartments. 32 floors, 440 homes, 14 vehicle parking spaces (yes, fourteen), 414 bicycle parking spaces.

Rendering is the latest available but is outdated, showing only the previously-proposed 25-floor version.

Edit: Apologies that I missed adding this to the title... Developer is Vive Developments.

1699845291674.png

You beat me to making a thread for this one. This is one of the projects I referenced in the 332 Charles St thread I made last week. Councillor Davey asked Vive to increase the unit count in exchange for some affordable units (80% market rate). It came back to council with an increase of 7 floors and 105 units, 24 of which are affordable. They are also proposing some accessible units.

Two councillors (Chapman as expected, and Deneault) were against the 32 floor version. Planning staff were also not supportive of the 32 floor version as it wasn't compliant with the tall building guidelines. Councillor Davey did point out then when those were passed Kitchener had yet to see the building boom/proposal boom it now has and asked if other cities have similarly restrictive guidelines and staff had no answer.

In the very initial designs of the building there was a fire station incorporated into the podium however those plans didn't pan out so it is now retail, however the city is still looking to build a new fire station somewhere in the downtown core so it is certainly possible that sometime through SPA it comes back.

Back