What is that horrid wrap-around box doing up there? Get it out of here!
I dont mind the architecture too much. It is more or less just a glass box but at least it has some defining features. To be honest i would be happy with ANYTHING over 190m for 40/88 scott, which it looks like we are getting. The setbacks along the top 10 or so floors will look good as a backdrop to the L tower when viewed from the south. Although the render doesnt exactly make the building look a masterpiece, im positive it will look great on the skyline.

For some reason I thought this one would be clad in green glass, I'm quite pleased that's not the case.

What is that horrid wrap-around box doing up there? Get it out of here!

Agreed, its completely unnecessary. Its mismatched with what otherwise looks to be a standout.

That wrap around box is awful! What was the designer thinking?!? They took that from CityPlace obviously, but it does not work on this building.

I like the upper setbacks but I agree, that box has to go! I'm leery of the glass and precast too, if it doesn't impress in a rendering I worry. Darker glass would definitely be an improvement.

Nothing special. Looks kind of iffy and has potential to look cheap if poorly executed. Probably about what I would have expected based on elevations. And very typical of a Page+Steele design. The name change will be a lot more attractive to the Asian investors.

Last edited:
I like the look.... the box is fine to me..... And i like the top a lot.... The glass colour is ok in the render but too many buildings have that colour.... Darker would be nice... Im giving it a good chance

The wrap around is definitely a head scracther. I'm curious to see the entire thing.

I should wait for the full renders to be released, we've been fooled before by partial renders. Having said that, I like what I've seen so far. To my eyes, the "box" is handled in an appropriate manner, providing a dramatic termination for the precast portion of the facing -- rather like the pediment on a Greek column. I do agree that a slightly (or a lot) darker colour of glass would improve the overall appearance of the building, but in general it's looking good.

Last edited:
Do you think they changed to the number 88 specifically to attract investors from asia??? If so its a damn good idea. Pretty genius considering investors from Asia are fueling this condo boom.

Hardly genius. Buildings all over the city have been tweaked for Asian buyers for ages now. All sorts of them have 8s highlighted in their addresses on purpose - 8 Gladstone, 8 Gloucester, 8 Chichester, 18 Yorkville, 3018 Yonge - while countless others don't have floor numbers that end in 4s.

It's the same reason that there's a Vietnamese resto chain called Pho 88. Very auspicious!

As I'm not a black cat, I think these superstitions are ridiculous, as silly as not having floor 13 in buildings, but I'm always happy to lap up another bowl of soup at Pho 88.

Does anyone recall the bitchfest over the design of this tower vs the 501 Yonge proposal? I think we all know who the winner will be...;)

Yupp, this one by a landslide.

Get rid of the box, and this is a winner for sure. I like the setbacks and though I wish they chose a different colour/tint of glass, at least it's not the generic green. Also hopefully they go with a stone as opposed to precast.

Considering the mid-level price range of these condos, I would expect mediocre pre-cast quality. Probably something along the lines of Uptown.

Considering the mid-level price range of these condos, I would expect mediocre pre-cast quality. Probably something along the lines of Uptown.

This one has some expanses of glass in it, so the precast won't be as bad as it was at Upown.

Back