sunnyraytoronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
To redevelop the lands with a high rise mixed use building. The building will consist of two residential towers of 52-storey (167.35m) and 40-storeys (130.75m) with a 5-7 storey podium containing at-grade commercial/retail space, residential units and amenity facilities. 1077 residential units and 7.41FSI density. Sisley Honda car dealership will not be in this redevelopment.

SisleyHonda88SteelesWest.PNG

Podium:
SisleyHonda88SteelesWestPolium.PNG

Architectural Spire:
SisleyHonda88SteelesWestSpire.PNG

Residential Unit Spilt:
SisleyHonda88SteelesWestData.PNG

Source: https://maps.vaughan.ca/planit/

This is my Honda dealership...whelp. Does look good.

I think densifying this area is still a bad idea. the 6 lanes on Steeles, the 6 lanes on Yonge southbound to Finch.

It's just too much.

I'll say it again the most nice unique looking buildings that are going up or plan. Are out side of the city core ! This would look nice by the waterfront at dusk or dawn with the glass shimmering. As seen in the photos up above.

Goodness, if this where built like that (and with appreciable mats), it would one of more impressive buildings in awhile. And on Steeles Avenue too!

I am glad to see finally some bold and audacious architecture in the area. It's not the norm but I am afraid that the city will ask as usual for a redesign.

Congrats to the developers for bringing creativity and something out of the status quo.

I am glad to see finally some bold and audacious architecture in the area. It's not the norm but I am afraid that the city will ask as usual for a redesign.

Congrats to the developers for bringing creativity and something out of the status quo.
You mean the City of Vaughan will ask for a redesign? They might, but like in Toronto, it wouldn't be for exterior architectural expression reasons, but for planning concerns.

Thank you very much interchange 42.

If I don't mind, I have another question for you . Why do outstanding looking buildings when they are presented first time to the city , end up as a boring and bland looking building? Why do 99% of future planned iconic designed building are so often penalized ? What are the other factors that play I have to consider ?

At the beginning, these developers have the intention to create an icon. This city needs more outstanding architecture to improve its bland skyline. You explained to me role of the city in the design process and I think you again for the answer.

Nice designed buildings are not the norm here.
I know that the question is out of touch in a building forum , but I need to know why? I will not do it again. 😊

Thanks in advance for an answer and happy holidays in advance .

Best regards .

Francisco.

You mean the City of Vaughan will ask for a redesign? They might, but like in Toronto, it wouldn't be for exterior architectural expression reasons, but for planning concerns.

Thank you very much interchange 42.

If I don't mind, I have another question for you . Why do outstanding looking buildings when they are presented first time to the city , end up as a boring and bland looking building? Why do 99% of future planned iconic designed building are so often penalized ? What are the other factors that play I have to consider ?

At the beginning, these developers have the intention to create an icon. This city needs more outstanding architecture to improve its bland skyline. You explained to me role of the city in the design process and I think you again for the answer.

Nice designed buildings are not the norm here.
I know that the question is out of touch in a building forum , but I need to know why? I will not do it again. 😊

Thanks in advance for an answer and happy holidays in advance .

Best regards .

Francisco.
It's not the City of Toronto nor the City of Vaughan or whichever City telling the developers to take the designs down a notch. It's the developers. The average developer starts with a flashy design so that they get a more favourable response when trying to get zoning approval. Once it has approval, the designs are costed, item by item, and if the developers can find ways to deliver something cheaper, they do. Since 98% of everything that hits the market sells, why try harder?

It's not the City of Toronto nor the City of Vaughan or whichever City telling the developers to take the designs down a notch. It's the developers. The average developer starts with a flashy design so that they get a more favourable response when trying to get zoning approval. Once it has approval, the designs are costed, item by item, and if the developers can find ways to deliver something cheaper, they do. Since 98% of everything that hits the market sells, why try harder?

Thank you very much for the clear answer. Thanks to you, I understand everything now.

Happy holidays. 🎉🎊

Franco.

Resubmitted with the following changes:
  • Storeys increased from 52 & 40 → 58 & 41-storeys
  • Heights increased from 167.35 & 130.75m → 185.55 & 133.95m
  • Total residential units increased from 1077 → 1082
  • Total vehicular parking decreased from 438 → 374
  • Total bicycle parking increased from 647 → 1115
  • With the addition of office space, the total commercial GFA (office + retail) increased from 627 → 3000m²
New renderings:
SUB2_Feb-21-2024_Architectural Set-33.jpg

SUB2_Feb-21-2024_Architectural Set-34.jpg

SUB2_Feb-21-2024_Architectural Set-35.jpg

SUB2_Feb-21-2024_Architectural Set-32.jpg

SUB2_Feb-21-2024_Architectural Set-36.jpg

Some things have positively trended in this iteration, but the proposed retail/street level is not one. The single-storey jut-out, with the near 100% glazing will not produce a good experience at grade.

Also would it kill someone to use some colour or warm material?

Some things have positively trended in this iteration, but the proposed retail/street level is not one. The single-storey jut-out, with the near 100% glazing will not produce a good experience at grade.

Also would it kill someone to use some colour or warm material?
I'm starting to think it actually would. Whoever's in charge of colour decisions would go into complete sensory overload and spontaneously combust. It's the only logical explanation at this point.

…and adding office space will make this happen more quickly (unless they have a company already lined up)?

Let's get the people making decisions in Vaughan to come work for Toronto.
Don't care if this makes no sense. I still feel that way 😜

Back