The reality is not "totally" different. You continue to use emphatic language when the truth is far more nuanced than that. Sure, the developers win most of the time, but most does not equal always. Why be so obstinate?

You are also either ignoring or purposefully misrepresenting what happens at the public consultations, as those meetings more often than not result in changes to the projects long before they reach get to the OMB—if they even go there at all. In fact the great majority of projects do not go to the OMB, and are worked out through the city planning process. Plans for projects typically evolve through the process, and most respond to concerns from the community. Does the community ever get everything they want? No, but they normally often get concessions that produce more sensitive designs. To advise people to not go to the meetings because you suggest that it's futile is to do a major disservice to anyone reading who doesn't know better.

I am not sure where you get the idea that most projects do not go to the OMB, this is totally false especially for the major projects, I am not talking about 5 story condo's. I stick by my facts that public consultations are nothing but a farse. As I mentioned when you look at this issue from a public perspective you think that the process is fair and impartial when in reality it is anything but. I just state the facts whether you like to acknowledge or ignore it is entirely up to you.

Facts. At this point I am reminded of these great lines, courtesy Talking Heads:

Facts are simple and facts are straight
Facts are lazy and facts are late
Facts all come with points of view
Facts don't do what I want them to
Facts just twist the truth around
Facts are living turned inside out
Facts are getting the best of them
Facts are nothing on the face of things

I am not sure where you get the idea that most projects do not go to the OMB, this is totally false especially for the major projects, I am not talking about 5 story condo's. I stick by my facts that public consultations are nothing but a farse. As I mentioned when you look at this issue from a public perspective you think that the process is fair and impartial when in reality it is anything but. I just state the facts whether you like to acknowledge or ignore it is entirely up to you.
You could not be more wrong. Don't waste anyone's time further with this until you can prove your assertions with some facts. One only has to read through Toronto City Council minutes where every building gets approved—or turned down—and you'll see that the number which go to the OMB represent maybe a fifth of the applications. Plus, start reading some preliminary reports and compare them with the final reports. You'll see how many buildings have morphed during the process—and that's the vast majority of them.

You could not be more wrong. Don't waste anyone's time further with this until you can prove your assertions with some facts. One only has to read through Toronto City Council minutes where every building gets approved—or turned down—and you'll see that the number which go to the OMB represent maybe a fifth of the applications. Plus, start reading some preliminary reports and compare them with the final reports. You'll see how many buildings have morphed during the process—and that's the vast majority of them.

That's definitely true regarding changes from preliminary to final planning reports. In fact part of my job is to determine the extent of changes between preliminary reports, final reports and the legal changes to the zoning by-law on each proposed project's lands in question.

Last edited:
I don't know what to tell you, what I said is based on my experience and going to over 8 OMB hearings in the last 2.5 years. I know people like to think they "won" against the developers but the reality is totally different.

I guess it depends how you interpret a loss. Developers rarely present when planning policy doesn't support their claim because they know they have little chance of winning. Even so, I've seen enough cases in which the decision is a smaller project than what the developer presented. Can you really call that a win? Also, you get your fair share of appeals of council's decision to approved projects or council going against their planners recommendations . Again, in both cases, planning policy supports the developer's side and I'm not sure those count as wins either within the prevailing perception of the OMB being the final bout between developer and staff.

Majority of times it's just a ploy from the developer to get the city to make a decision on their application.

Last edited:
I personally think that this is a beautiful building....if it ends up looking like the renders!

It's Listed for Sale at $24,900,000 as of Oct 17 2016, MLS #:C3633850

From the ICX website:

Opportunity To Acquire 0.27 Acres Of Residential & Commercial Land Located In The Prominent Yorkville Neighbourhood. The Site Has Omb Approved Zoning For 104,000 Sf Of Residential & Commercial Gfa, Including Up To 17,222 Square Feet Of Commercial Gfa. In Proximity To The Site, There Is A Number Of Existing Fine Rate Retail, Dining Hospitality & Service Amenities. **** EXTRAS **** All Information Provided & Advertised By The Seller & Cbre Shall Be Verified By The Buyer. Potential Purchasers May Be Subject To A Qualifying Process Prior To Any Information BeingReleased Or Permission To Tour The Site.

PropertyID=17500744&PidKey=965750079

I will assume that it was the inability of the developer to get tieback agreements with neighbouring buildings that has stopped this development. I liked the design quite a bit, but its height was not popular in the neighbourhood. If you want to build taller than next door, but you need their permission to build because your shoring has to be anchored underneath them… well, you better not piss them off too much.

my understanding was that tiebacks are not required, just cheaper. You pour a solid concrete wall to hold back the dirt instead, rather than the typical steel piles with wood slats between them.

Well, that and possibly some other factors must have added up to can't build/can't afford to build here. They have the zoning approvals they need…

I think they have the wrong address listed, but the latest quarterly Q Investment Report has this:

Global Edge Investments sold their Howard Johnson hotel at 11 Avenue Road to a private investor for $20,212,500. The property measures 0.260 acres. The site was approved for a 100,000 square foot residential development, resulting in a value just over $200 per square foot buildable. In discussions with the vendor, it was not fully determined at the time of sale if the purchaser had acquired the property to develop for residential purposes.

All the details point to them having quoted the address incorrectly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 9.48.10 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 9.48.10 PM.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 385

Back