Happy to see this one come together, really pushing on the marketing as phase 4 of the Design District would be an interesting angle (if that came to fruition)

LOL I couldn't help but laugh at this render showing so many people enjoying a stroll through the Hamilton parking lots as if it's a beautiful feature! 😅
The density at this intersection will be game changing though, we just need to wait for that missing piece of the puzzle on the left side that has yet to have a proposal. Whatever goes there I hope it's a landmark tower and exceeds the height of the buildings around it.

I agree, they'll have an entire block. Take advantage and make it something special. Being surrounded by other highrises there's also no excuse not to.

Wonder who owns that beautiful full block...
I think this has been asked a few times and no one has been able to answer it. Someone should be able to pull some strings and find out. I'm super curious myself.

I think this has been asked a few times and no one has been able to answer it. Someone should be able to pull some strings and find out. I'm super curious myself.
Some realtor could figure it out, but they usually try not to release data. If anyone knows a realtor they feel comfortable asking 🤷‍♂️

Personally i don't want it to be higher than the rest - imo that whole block should have something smaller but communal - something that makes a huge impact though - like think multi-tiered greenhouse/communal food growing area or crystal palace or opera house or giant aviary or something - having giant buildings all around would make it the only block you could do something beautiful for the buildings to actually have a VIEW of. I hate when you have a giant condo built, thinking you'll have majestic views and they just plop a giant one right beside it - I don't want downtown to feel like a cup with a buncha pencils stuck into it - I want variations of highs and lows. That whole block gives the opportunity for something really cool - other than the alien "walking park" to the east of it..

The ownership of this land is most likely going to be complicated as the eatons cotton factory was on that giant block as well as 2 churches that were demolished.

Personally i don't want it to be higher than the rest - imo that whole block should have something smaller but communal - something that makes a huge impact though - like think multi-tiered greenhouse/communal food growing area or crystal palace or opera house or giant aviary or something - having giant buildings all around would make it the only block you could do something beautiful for the buildings to actually have a VIEW of. I hate when you have a giant condo built, thinking you'll have majestic views and they just plop a giant one right beside it - I don't want downtown to feel like a cup with a buncha pencils stuck into it - I want variations of highs and lows. That whole block gives the opportunity for something really cool - other than the alien "walking park" to the east of it..

The ownership of this land is most likely going to be complicated as the eatons cotton factory was on that giant block as well as 2 churches that were demolished.
I’ve agreed with you when discussing this prior, well said. This would be a great block for some sort of different use, and the height need not match or even exceed its neighbours. Though I’d rather it be different enough in height to stand out, whether that be 15 stories shorter or taller than it’s peers. Since the latter is a tentative impossibility, I think bargaining for a good public or commercial use is a great idea.

Not to give it too much credit, but the school at the centre of CityPlace does a half decent job of showing the sort of environment I envision.

I would love to see two buildings that are the same scale as 1 Jarvis and Kiwi Condos. That would work quite well, and keep the streets feeling somewhat open.

I would love to see two buildings that are the same scale as 1 Jarvis and Kiwi Condos. That would work quite well, and keep the streets feeling somewhat open.
Personally I'd love some sort of entertainment complex - with so many developments around whatever went there would be super popular - and if it was multi story it should be some sort of really cool innovative design.

I don't think there is enough of a market for another major entertainment facility Downtown. We have First Ontario Center, AGH, and the Concert Hall already. I would rather see a mixed use hotel/office/residential/commercial development similar to The Well at that location. We don't have much hotels east of James St.

If we can't get a 60+ storey gem of a tower here then I agree with you that something of that scale would look great here with maybe a pedestrian only "market" street POPS parkette in between the two buildings!

If we can't get a 60+ storey gem of a tower here then I agree with you that something of that scale would look great here with maybe a pedestrian only "market" street POPS parkette in between the two buildings!
The city definitely has the opportunity to force a developer to do something great here. It's a clean slate.

I don't think there is enough of a market for another major entertainment facility Downtown. We have First Ontario Center, AGH, and the Concert Hall already. I would rather see a mixed use hotel/office/residential/commercial development similar to The Well at that location. We don't have much hotels east of James St.
something like the well would be a good location there for sure.

Back