Great to see an OPEN DOOR project moving ahead in Councillor Ford's ward.... the original funding-plan in March 2021 was for all Sixty (60) units to be Affordable-Rental, but now it is down to Thirty-Three (33) units.

1643390110708.png

1643389767406.png

LINK - http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2021.PH21.4

This isn't going to be our usual complaint about "Affordable-Housing unit loss due to City Planning policy" - this one seems to be more about Construction cost inflation - and that projects like this one should really just be "As of Right" for not-for-profit developers.

• Angry
Reactions: DHX
This is absolutely NOT Welcome nor wanted in our community. The design is atrocious and an eye sore - I will personally vote a hard NO to this project.

This is absolutely NOT Welcome nor wanted in our community. The design is atrocious and an eye sore - I will personally vote a hard NO to this project.
Welcome to the conversation, new forum member.

Happy to help with any questions you may have. Thx!

The design is quite nice compared to the usual development in this city IMO with good solid warm materiality. It certainly is nicer than the current barren empty site and adjacent lots like the generic Shoppers + gas station next door and bungalow houses behind it. What exactly is the issue? This is a very modest intensification on a currently unused site with pretty nice design. I have some small critiques but I definitely wouldn't call it atrocious. What kind of development or design would meet your standards?

Also wondering why you feel you can speak on behalf of your whole community? Have you spoken to everyone? And what of people who need places to live but can't afford a detached home? Is your community closed to any new residents?

Is this supposed to be a condo with affordable units? Or full government housing? If it’s government housing I think we have more than enough of that in our area. We definitely don’t want this beside a school.

If it’s a condo will the entire block be revamped? The stores beside this proposed building is a site for sore eyes. We want our area to be improved with better stores, not just jewelry shops or cell phone repair places. It’s a shame that North Etobicoke is just a high density of random businesses that don’t serve everyday needs.

Is this supposed to be a condo with affordable units? Or full government housing? If it’s government housing I think we have more than enough of that in our area. We definitely don’t want this beside a school.

If it’s a condo will the entire block be revamped? The stores beside this proposed building is a site for sore eyes. We want our area to be improved with better stores, not just jewelry shops or cell phone repair places. It’s a shame that North Etobicoke is just a high density of random businesses that don’t serve everyday needs.
Open Door Program is not TCHC housing (eg. Social Housing, Rent-Geared-to-Income (RGI)).

33 of the 60 units will be "below-market" rental at the City's definition of "Affordable Rent" for Households with incomes between $32,486 - $74,301 per year.

OPEN DOOR is a workforce-housing private-rental program.

1645124014813.png

Not an overly attractive building. I hope the builder invests in beautifying the property while he's at it with proper lighting and landscaping. When is a community meeting expected? I've seen nothing at all. I thought community input would be solicited.

Reactions: DHX
Not an overly attractive building. I hope the builder invests in beautifying the property while he's at it with proper lighting and landscaping. When is a community meeting expected? I've seen nothing at all. I thought community input would be solicited.
agreed. Looks like a run down community housing project you find on Sherbourne. We better have a meeting with Ford

What will the other 27units be? Rentals or for purchase?
This is from the public COVER LETTER & PROJECT DATA SHEET that was submitted to the City Planning Department in Dec. 2021.

1645126119452.png

Building will be 100% Rental, the 33 of the 65 units will be "below-market" rental at a level of "deeper affordability" - target rents for those units below.

1645125925774.png

Assume the rest of the units will be "Market-Rate Rental" for the CMHC rents for Etobicoke North, or above that rent. TBD.

agreed. Looks like a run down community housing project you find on Sherbourne. We better have a meeting with Ford

It's fine to have differing opinions and preferences, but this really is a bit much.
It's a render, there is certainly nothing in that drawing that looks rundown.
You're on a forum full of architecture and design enthusiasts who are rightly somewhat cynical about architectural quality in Toronto;
and yet most of us are somewhere between luke warm and pleased by this design.

Also, I think you'll find that rhetoric that sounds an awful lot like 'keep the poor people out of my neighbourhood' will not go over particularly well, nor be particularly successful.
There is surely room to tweak or improve the project some, but it is not some sign of the apocalypse.

Not an overly attractive building

Eye of the beholder....

. I hope the builder invests in beautifying the property while he's at it with proper lighting and landscaping. When is a community meeting expected? I've seen nothing at all. I thought community input would be solicited.

The Landscape Plan is here:

1645126849773.png

I've blown up the legend here to make it easier to read:

1645127084335.png

There is an oddity in the plan, which I'll mention in a moment.

But the gist is this:

The boulevard (between sidewalk and road) on both streets would be sodded.

Trees on the Albion side only.

Perennials and shrubs in beds on the inside of the sidewalk, next to the building.

Not sure why, but it doesn't match up exactly w/the renders.

The oddity I mentioned is that unless I'm reading it wrong is shows some sod right on the corner, where the curb cut goes, which certainly will not be the case.

Eye of the beholder....

The Landscape Plan is here:

View attachment 380748

I've blown up the legend here to make it easier to read:

View attachment 380750

There is an oddity in the plan, which I'll mention in a moment.

But the gist is this:

The boulevard (between sidewalk and road) on both streets would be sodded.

Trees on the Albion side only.

Perennials and shrubs in beds on the inside of the sidewalk, next to the building.

Not sure why, but it doesn't match up exactly w/the renders.

The oddity I mentioned is that unless I'm reading it wrong is shows some sod right on the corner, where the curb cut goes, which certainly will not be the case.
Thank you for this. I'll have a look.

Back