I was there. I kept thinking to myself, why are these people fighting a development they will reside in 5-10 years when they retire and need care.

The funniest argument was one person spoke up and was concerned of the impact the Retirement home will have on the TTC with all the support staff riding the bus and subway to work.... There really is no end of NIMBYism in this city

I was not at last night's meeting.

I do support the gist of this redevelopment.

But there are a couple of legitimate concerns.

The last iteration of the plans I read shows encroachment at one point into the minimum 10M from stable top of bank as staked by the TRCA.

I would deems this highly inadvisable, both on this site and as a precedent.

While they have reports suggesting the slope is stable.........

There are clear erosion scars now, and there is a large amount of groundwater in the slope, some of which seeps out at lower levels.

I won't quibble w/their experts, but I would appreciate greater caution here.

Frankly, I would like to see the building even further back from the edge, w/naturalization plantings at the top of the slope and down its exposed length in order to increase slope stability.

Let's recall the problems w/Pottery Road not so long ago, when the as-built retaining walls proved insufficient and the road was closed to reconstruct them.

The other concern with which I am somewhat sympathetic is that this really directly abuts single family homes, on a side street, and it is rather imposing.

That doesn't mean I oppose the height, but rather than I think the issue could be better mitigated both in the massing of the building, and in how the site is landscaped.

A larger buffer zone on the south of the site with more, taller trees will help preserve privacy, or at least the illusion of same.

IEC Project Update on Sale of Broadview Land Assembly

July 28, 2020

The process leading to the sale of the Estonian House in Toronto has been continuing despite the pandemic. The sale is the next step in the development of the new International Estonian Centre (IEC), for which planning has also continued these past months. When built, IEC will be a vibrant gathering place for all Estonians to share our culture and achievements - and new home for the largest Estonian community in Canada. The IEC project has two major components; the development of the new Centre on Madison Avenue next to Tartu College; and the sale of the Estonian House (EH) property, being sold with the three adjacent Estonian Foundation of Canada (EFC) properties. Despite challenges, we have made substantial progress toward reaching our collective goals.

Some months ago, shortly after the onset of the COVID outbreak, the Purchase Agreement with Revera was terminated. The terms were satisfactory to the Vendors, Estonian House and Estonian Foundation of Canada. A confidentiality obligation binding both Revera and the Vendors restricts either party from discussing those terms. EH and EFC were very pleased that soon after, they were able to conclude a new Purchase Agreement with DK Acquisitions Inc, a subsidiary of a very credible and experienced local development group.

Closing for the sale of the properties is now expected in September at which point the leaseback of the four properties will begin. This means that EH and EFC will become tenants of the new owner and most activities and tenants will be able to continue to operate at these properties until mid 2022. Much will also depend on the state of the pandemic as to how and when Estonian House will be able to re-open. Further details will be ready to share with the community following closing as is normal in these kinds of transactions.

Both Estonian House and Estonian Foundation of Canada believe the terms of the new Purchase are favourable. For Estonian House, the new agreement realizes the objectives of their sale which include creating a new centre for the community. It also achieves the goals agreed to in the EH shareholder resolution in 2017. Following closing, Estonian House will start the process to facilitate a structured transition to the new centre.

For EFC, the new agreement realizes the objectives of their sale, which required a fair return on EFC’s investment in real estate. EFC’s purchase many years ago of the three properties adjacent to EH was also a strategic investment as selling all four properties together would increase the development footprint for a buyer. This outcome further benefits the community and EFC’s mission to support Estonian cultural and heritage programs and initiatives across Canada.

As the community prepares to enter an exciting next phase in building the new centre, we will also be entering a period of transition. Every effort will be made to ensure as seamless a transition as possible - and it will be a collective effort. All four supporting organizations, Estonian House in Toronto Ltd, Estonian Foundation of Canada, Northern Birch Credit Union Limited and Tartu College remain champions of the new centre. However, this next phase will also be a time to engage more members of our community in the path forward - despite the pandemic. Further updates on how the new centre has been progressing and anticipated construction dates will also be shared after closing.

I'm not feeling optimistic about any deveoper plans for this site...ideally it should transition from the taller apt's next doot to the establoshed hoising further south. And, of course be VERY careful in giving space to the valley and to the heritage structure. Even a park wouldnt be a terrible idea for this site...but I'd just be dreaming...

Diamond Kilmer have purchased this site. The same partnership behind the Reunion Crossing project.

The International Estonian Centre Project (IEC) has entered its next phase: Estonian House in Toronto Ltd. (EH) and Estonian Foundation of Canada (EFC) are pleased to update the Estonian community that their Broadview group of properties has been sold to DK Broadview Inc. of Toronto for a base price of $15.6 million with a possible upward adjustment depending on the final density achieved by the purchaser on its proposed rezoning of the properties. With this sale, our community marks a major milestone in the creation of a new and dynamic International Estonian Centre in Toronto.

DK Broadview Inc. is a partnership of DiamondCorp and Kilmer Brownfield Development Fund, two experienced and prominent developers who have previously partnered on a number of high profile and successful developments. For the Estonian community, DK Broadview Inc became the right buyer at the right time.

Last edited:
Diamond Kilmer have purchased this site. The same partnership behind the Reunion Crossing project.

I think that, assuming care for the ravine below and other environmental concerns, this is the best possible outcome. This is a prime location with excellent transit, walking and biking scores, in an established neighbourhood, with TREES! and even wildlife... I don't know what makes more sense: a low-midrise condo with large luxury suites or a row (or two) of very high-end townhouses. I suspect that underground parking will be an issue because I believe that the area is pretty sandy. But I am no engineer. Bottom line, I am hopeful and expect to see the Broadview Study respected.

I think that, assuming care for the ravine below and other environmental concerns, this is the best possible outcome. This is a prime location with excellent transit, walking and biking scores, in an established neighbourhood, with TREES! and even wildlife... I don't know what makes more sense: a low-midrise condo with large luxury suites or a row (or two) of very high-end townhouses. I suspect that underground parking will be an issue because I believe that the area is pretty sandy. But I am no engineer. Bottom line, I am hopeful and expect to see the Broadview Study respected.

As compared w/the previous proposal, I would look to see, at the minimum, the 10M from stable top of bank respected; I'd prefer more given than the slope does have clear erosion scars and there may be other reasons to be concerned about slope stability.

In the same vein, I would argue for limited below-ground structure, as the site has extensive ground water; I can't remember all the detail now; but I'm thinking one-level down is about all I would want to see.

Height I'm quite flexible on, as long as the design is good.

As compared w/the previous proposal, I would look to see, at the minimum, the 10M from stable top of bank respected; I'd prefer more given than the slope does have clear erosion scars and there may be other reasons to be concerned about slope stability.

That 10M had to do with the TRCA boundary. Now, under Ford, I assume nothing is sacred.

That 10M had to do with the TRCA boundary. Now, under Ford, I assume nothing is sacred.

The TRCA policy remains in effect.

I don't see that being watered down.

There are long term liability issues from building too close to the edge of the slope.

The previous proposal was skirting that, but I don't think would have been approved w/that.

The issue for me is (I hope) whether we achieve better than the bare minimum required for safety; and ideally do so while achieving a modest but tangible net gain for the environment.

I should add for context; the TRCA policy outside the urban area is actually 30M from stable top of bank. (Oak Ridges Moraine Conservation Plan)

A policy I would prefer in the City; but the watered-down standard reflected the extent of previous development to a large degree.

Last edited:

I doubt that this will be a luxury or high-end project. I watched a video interview with Stephen Diamond and Ken Tanenbaum, and they mentioned that the Diamond Kilmer partnership was formed to provide mid-range, reasonably priced units, for young families. I would expect something along the lines of their Reunion Crossing development on St. Clair West.

I doubt that this will be a luxury or high-end project. I watched a video interview with Stephen Diamond and Ken Tanenbaum, and they mentioned that the Diamond Kilmer partnership was formed to provide mid-range, reasonably priced units, for young families. I would expect something along the lines of their Reunion Crossing development on St. Clair West.

Well, the site is in the Jackman School district so ... ya know?

New documents uploaded on November 23rd, 2020. Lots of changes - this is now a DiamondCorp project, and, unfortunately, a Graziani + Corrazza project. Height reduced to 16 storeys, as well.

Renderings
image--000.jpg

image--001.jpg

Elevations
1606443511329.png

1606443535399.png

1606443567417.png

1606443598142.png

source

This is much more sensible than the Revera proposal, and probably the best possible outcome for this site. Can't believe I'm saying it, but - not bad for a G&C.

Back