Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Formal Consultation was held in 2022 with the following description:
To develop a 30-storey mixed-use building with a tiered, six-storey podium. Includes a total of 330 residential units.

Google street view as of August 2022:
1680552254377.png

this is an Emblem owned parcel.
Thank you! I have added them to the database and thread title.

Forge & Foster reported in 2022 that Emblem had bought 100 John St N (the premier medical health centre in the back on the driveway to the left) and 61 Wilson. 61 Wilson however is on the west side of John, which I believe is already included in Emblem's Design District. Perhaps this is a typo and they meant 69 Wilson (also addressed as 92 John Street North) which is the Gary Proctor Building on the northeast corner of John & Wilson, making a nice assembly for them.

In front of Hamilton's DRP tomorrow, according to the NRU. The Agenda is not yet posted, but these low-res renderings were provided in the NRU:

View attachment 468553

I don't get this 1/2 an intermezzo podium business.

If you want to break up the massing:

1) Send the right-hand expression all the way up on the right side (so you have 2 completely different expressions).
2) Make sure the podium also has 2 different expressions which line-up cleanly with the tower sections

3) If you want a one tower expression, then either ditch the inter-mezzo podium, or wrap the whole building with it.

Last edited:
Once again, despite its issues every new development proposal manages to exceed the quality of the last one in Hamilton. Sans Core Urban and the Mac residence, who offer some competition.

I don't get this 1/2 an intermezzo podium business.

If you want to break up the massing:

1) Send the right-hand expression all the way up on the right side (so you have 2 completely different expressions).
2) Make sure the podium also has 2 different expressions which line-up cleanly with the tower sections

3) If you want a one tower expression, then either ditch the inter-mezzo podium, or wrap the whole building with it.
It's a result of Hamilton's as-of-right downtown zoning. Towers have maximum floorplate sizes, but only above the "midrise" podium height of ~14 storeys. A lot of projects have large podiums up to the 14th storey as a result.

Some sites, like Emblem's 1 Jarvis, have zoning for only 14-storeys, and top out at that height.

The downtown basically has three height "tiers" every project follows as everything is as-of-right, so nobody tries to force a rezoning over it. 5-6 storey podium, 14 storey upper podium / "Midrise", and 30 storey tower which is limited by the escarpment height limit.

It's a result of Hamilton's as-of-right downtown zoning. Towers have maximum floorplate sizes, but only above the "midrise" podium height of ~14 storeys. A lot of projects have large podiums up to the 14th storey as a result.

Some sites, like Emblem's 1 Jarvis, have zoning for only 14-storeys, and top out at that height.

The downtown basically has three height "tiers" every project follows as everything is as-of-right, so nobody tries to force a rezoning over it. 5-6 storey podium, 14 storey upper podium / "Midrise", and 30 storey tower which is limited by the escarpment height limit.

Right, that determines the floor plate, but not the exterior cladding.

Why does the middle layer of the wedding cake have two different 'icings' on it?

Give me one building, or give me the illusion of two buildings; but not this weirdness.

Ugh, Hamilton really badly needs to be rid of parking minimums (and/or) parking above grade. 6 floors of above grade parking is gross and really cuts into residential and retail space.

unlike a lot of above grade garages I think this one is actually hidden really well. Well.. at least from the south and west elevations. The north and east are awful.

Studio Houman posted on Instagram the other day that they will be the interior designer for this project. This should be a very high quality development. I wonder when we'll see construction start.

Emblem is really investing into Hamilton, great to see because they seem to actually work with the City and get things done.

Back