That's how I feel about them too. Given how vastly superior these towers are to all the mediocre designs around them in MCC, they are really out of place. It's as if a whole step in architectural maturity has been skipped (kind of like how many people in Africa went from having no phones straight to cell phones instead of landlines), making for a very jarring experience. I apologize in advance for my insensitive statement as I know Mississaugans here will cringe, but these towers are way, way ahead of their time - ie. far too good for where they are, essentially a waste. It's akin to Tiger Woods playing an amateur golf tournament for a 50 dollar gift card to Walmart.

Easy on the criticism...your sly, wordy comparisons are completely irrelevant and offensive.

These towers are a waste? Mississauga is a great city and every great city deserves their landmark. Hazel is finally getting it. Kudos to Cityzen and Fernbrook, what they're doing for Mississauga is monumental, literally.

It does not fulfill planning objectives either

Someones not up to date on Provincial policy and current planning guidelines.

Reading the last page of this thread makes me question the age of some of the members on this site.

The towers are going to be a landmark regardless of where they get built. Location doesn't take away from an object's status as a landmark. If people want to see it, they will go out of their way to see it, even if it means driving through a desert, the country, or in this case into the suburbs.

As for the towers being too ahead of their time... Thats another dumb comment. Look around the world... Maybe the city you are from (not naming names) is behind the times? Why should everything else around it wait for it to get with the times? Mississauga didn't force the developers to build these buildings here... they chose to build them here.

Are they a waste? No! They are serving their primary purpose (a place to live), and add to the character of the area.

Do they stand out? Yes!

Is it a bad thing? No! Landmarks should stand out.

Could they have been built elsewhere? Yes... but they weren't. It would be a waste to not build them at all, which is what would happen if they weren't being built in their current location.

People need to grow up!

Last edited:
People need to grow up!
+1. Tired of the trolls around here lately. They have no appreciation for architecture, only starchitecture. And if it's outside of the downtown core, it's not good enough for them. *GAG*

I dunno, Khris, there seems to be growing admiration for Absoluteworld on the forum lately - especially from downtown forumers .......I think most people will agree, these 2 towers are going to be a big part in helping to define whatever MCC will eventually become....

And I do hope that one day Fernbrook/Cityzen will do something by Yansong Ma in downtown Toronto......That would be amazing....

These buildings really are a waste in Mississauga. In Toronto they would have been seen by people all over the GTA and from all over the world. But in Mississauga, who would see them besides the people who shop at Square One? It does not fulfill planning objectives either, putting these buildings in such an inhospitable and sterile environment.

In Toronto, please.......Have you not noticed that most proposed buildings with an intresting design in the city of Toronto are butchered 3 or 4 times throughout planning until finally a typical mediocre Toronto box-type bldg. is built.,,It will be 20 years before we see anything this intresting in Toronto

+1. Tired of the trolls around here lately. They have no appreciation for architecture, only starchitecture. And if it's outside of the downtown core, it's not good enough for them. *GAG*

I think the recent posts are evidence to the contrary. It sounds like they love these buildings so much that they want them to shine on the world stage. Front and center in some familiar Canadian skyline. Not in a city that has historically never shown up in an image search of great skylines. That, I believe, is the "waste" they speak of.

Maybe these buildings will help to change that, but in the meantime, we few fans here on the forums and those that live in eye-line of these beauties will be the only ones to appreciate them.

Last edited:
Marilyn and her pal looking voluptuous in the evening light......pics by Jasonzed at SSC....

20100506003.jpg

20100506001.jpg

20100506002.jpg

20100506006.jpg

I also kinda think that these are "wasted" (for lack of a better word) on Mississauga. But that's mostly because I'm simply jealous that they got them and not us downtown folks.

Good design belongs everywhere. The constant, insecure demonizing of the 905 as somewhere where bad design somehow "belongs" is as absurd as the notion that the "Marilyn" towers are too good for the 905.

Good design belongs everywhere. The constant, insecure demonizing of the 905 as somewhere where bad design somehow "belongs" is as absurd as the notion that the "Marilyn" towers are too good for the 905.

Excuse the extreme analogy and I certainly don't want to incite a riot, or insult the lovely people of Mississauga but sometimes taking an opinion, like the above statement, to its basest extreme, demonstrates the fallacy of such an argument.

Then would it be acceptable to display the original Michelangelo's David in a landfill site? Or the original Mona Lisa on a Subway platform? Or a A 1936 Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic at a Budget Rent-a-Car?

There is something to be said for appropriate surroundings deserving of a valuable artwork. The juxtaposition of these world-class designs with run-of-the-mill suburban condo architecture, is jarring to say the least.

Someone earlier pointed out that these buildings placed in MIssissauga, is like jumping steps in the design evolution of the built form. They would fit in better if there was something built that bridged from crap to art.

Back