I thought they would be more shiny and form fitting....showing more cheek than the patrons could handle. 🙀
They are and do - that's not really apparent in the shot though ;)

I'm guessing Toronto has loosened up a little - since this is a fancy-ish, trendy place full of middle aged yuppies, I was fully expecting to either:

1) Be turned away immediately upon entry to the lobby, or

2) Get kicked out once I reached the rooftop bar (Evangeline) due to my very questionable (and profanity laced) attire.

But nothing! Not a soul seemed in the slightest bit phased. I was almost...disappointed. Apart from that, lovely decor inside, though I spent over 2 hours basking in the afternoon sun on the patio getting a little buzz on with a couple of delicious IPAs in lovely birthday solitude (34 bucks later!), at one point nearly sliding my sunglasses down the bridge of my nose in a semi-impressed state of bewilderment that the ladies one table over were discussing the Meiji Restoration...

But nothing! Not a soul seemed in the slightest bit phased. I was almost...disappointed. Apart from that, lovely decor inside, though I spent over 2 hours basking in the afternoon sun on the patio getting a little buzz on with a couple of delicious IPAs in lovely birthday solitude (34 bucks later!), at one point nearly sliding my sunglasses down the bridge of my nose in a semi-impressed state of bewilderment that the ladies one table over were discussing the Meiji Restoration...

Wow! If that was a discussion about the Imjin War then I'd be there in a heartbeat!

They are and do - that's not really apparent in the shot though ;)

I'm guessing Toronto has loosened up a little - since this is a fancy-ish, trendy place full of middle aged yuppies, I was fully expecting to either:

1) Be turned away immediately upon entry to the lobby, or

2) Get kicked out once I reached the rooftop bar (Evangeline) due to my very questionable (and profanity laced) attire.

It's certainly a nice place, but the cost is insane. I had a cocktail and my wife had a glass of wine and after tax and tip it was something like $55...Fine for a special occasion which demands a view, but as someone who grew up on $5 pint-and-shot combos, that's...something else.

It's certainly a nice place, but the cost is insane. I had a cocktail and my wife had a glass of wine and after tax and tip it was something like $55...Fine for a special occasion which demands a view, but as someone who grew up on $5 pint-and-shot combos, that's...something else.
It's not a particularly cheap place for sure, but inflation is a b*** ain't it? Even the cheap places in Toronto are $$$ these days compared to what they were even a decade ago.

A decade ago we had "Toonie Tuesdays": A pint or a shot for $2. Only thing was you needed to pay cash, so you ended up carrying around pockets full of heavy metal. Good times. The kids these days will never know...

A decade ago we had "Toonie Tuesdays": A pint or a shot for $2. Only thing was you needed to pay cash, so you ended up carrying around pockets full of heavy metal. Good times. The kids these days will never know...
The best I ever saw was €1 shot bars in Berlin in 2015. Lets just say I was out a surprising amount of money given the prices..

in Toronto, the $8-10 pitchers at cheap places in Chinatown were a classic haunt in the 2013-2015 era for me.

I'm sure there are many members here much older than @ProjectEnd or I who can regal us on the era of even lower costs going further back..

in Toronto, the $8-10 pitchers at cheap places in Chinatown were a classic haunt in the 2013-2015 era for me.
I have many memories of $5 pitchers at Ten Mile Aroma from around that time. You had two choices, "light" and "dark", and if your table got too noisy the owner would come out and give you a stern talking to. But what a deal!

The best I ever saw was €1 shot bars in Berlin in 2015. Lets just say I was out a surprising amount of money given the prices..

I'm sure there are many members here much older than @ProjectEnd or I who can regal us on the era of even lower costs going further back..
give-me-five-bees-for-a-quarter-v0-z0dz5ae5xk1a1.jpg

Around 10 years ago I'd avidly go to Kingyo Izakaya in Cabbagetown where they had $10 Sapporo pitchers on certain nights, along with decent food specials. Hey Lucy's, also in the area, had $5 martinis on Wednesdays as well. Also have fond memories of the original Green Room in the Annex area as a reasonably cheap late night haunt option.

Phil's in Waterloo, $1.75 beers and shooters/mixed drinks. Went in with a lot of Toonies while I was at UofW (2001-2005, so that was a while ago...)

Are the pitchers at Wide Open on Spadina still cheap? That place is legendary, but surprisingly I've never been there...

Also, I remember 7 dollar pitchers at Sanctuary in the late 90's of their ahem, "house brew". I left quite the trail of DNA in multiple public locations coming out of there one night...

Back