Key bits from the above:

1677775626804.png

1677775638987.png

1677775726590.png

1677775769003.png

Is that a ‘spire’ on the south face of the building similar to what was done at the new courthouse?!

I wonder what's the cladding - some kind of glazed ceramic tile?

AoD
From the Globe's @AlexBozikovic : "The designers, Selldorf Architects alongside Ontario firms Diamond Schmitt and Two Row Architect, plan to wrap the building in a material, such as terracotta tile, that can actually provide such an effect – “like the light in a watercolour,” as Ms. Selldorf put it."

Quiet boxes that will serve the needs of the curators of modern art, without distracting from Gehry...or anything else? That's alright with me.

(the gallery spaces look and sound great and are much needed. This is will make this already great building, even better for art lovers.)

Quiet boxes that will serve the needs of the curators of modern art, without distracting from Gehry...or anything else? That's alright with me.

(the gallery spaces look and sound great and are much needed. This is will make this already great building, even better for art lovers.)

My thoughts, exactly. It's a nice addition that offers more space while respecting the Gehry updates.

Yeah. I like it. Doesn’t distract from Alsop or Gehry, and the AGO needs the space – there’s so little space for its own Canadian modern art because so much of that is taken over by the permanent hanging of the Thomson Collection, which prevents rotation of other works.

The rendering I want to see is from the northeast, at street level. How does this addition play with the roofline of the Galleria?

Adding to the AGO would be fantastic. It's a great museum and embiggening it would only be an improvement. Going to a big, imposingly impressive museums in other cities is such a great experience.

Haven't been in a year or two but, when I went last, the MOCA hadn't really taken off in terms of its collection. I don't know how the art world works but I do wonder if this expansion would be a blow to it.

I'm happy for more gallery space at the AGO, but the new addition is a real featureless blob on the outside.

As someone who grew up with the 90s pomo exterior that lasted only a decade, I guess I should expect the gallery is going to keep adding random additions here and there.

Back