I'll explain how. If we decide that a privileged (rich) few get to live in large homes in the middle (literally downtown) of a metropolitan city, we're saying that their comfort matters more than building density. For example, why can't sites like this be treated like The Selby? https://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/selby

We can build a LOT of density while preserving our history. We don't because we don't want to displace the rich and almost exclusively white voters in the area.

So yes, saying "heritage" and then fighting over the smallest of density is a dog whistle. This location should have a building on it with a MINIMUM of 6 stories, not laneways.
I've felt the same way for a long time as well. When I was very young even then I remember thinking it was strange how many 2-3 storey houses were so close to the city centre. Now that I'm older and I realize they're largely inhabited by wealthy people, it makes more sense why there always seems to be such a pushback against new developments if it dares to disturb some rich person and the precious "character" of the neighbourhood.

I've felt the same way for a long time as well. When I was very young even then I remember thinking it was strange how many 2-3 storey houses were so close to the city centre. Now that I'm older and I realize they're largely inhabited by wealthy people, it makes more sense why there always seems to be such a pushback against new developments if it dares to disturb some rich person and the precious "character" of the neighbourhood.
Putting it that way is certainly leaning towards making those dogs howl...so good point.

40133-141102.jpeg

Interesting I rather like this idea with laneway housing while keeping heritage buildings.. Also interesting is that many are howling about the ‘rich’ who own homes as if they are not deserving while the folks who cannot afford a house but are deserving to have a house? (We all deserve a home but not a house necessarily). Meanwhile I have a house why? I’ve worked and worked and had roommates and tenants and working more and then did Airbnb and then worked and am still working and that’s why I have a house. Oh sorry I got to go ... to get some work done.

The two also have approval to build Annex Flats, comprised of six two-storey rental units in an under-utilized laneway near Dupont and Huron Streets.

“Our plan was to do that with CMHC money and refinance it,” said Sheffer.

“But with interest rates being as high as they are, the debt service is much worse and it just doesn't make economic sense to us today to build those rental units.

"So we're sort of waiting for things to change a little bit.”

Back