This particular block is already kind of a lull between Davisville and Y&E proper. Between the auto service centre, the blank wall of Canada Square, and Art Shoppe's not exactly engaging street presence, there's not a lot of "shopping atmosphere" to ruin. It does pick up again quickly to the north & south, though.

Totally agree, it's a dead zone that I walk by often. From what I saw at the public meeting, this proposal has relatively small storefronts facing Yonge, which would hopefully extend & continue the street life & restaurants from the south. Almost anything would be an improvement though. I'm really hoping this building is re-developed to repair the urban fabric here.

With all the construction happening, including Yonge-Eglinton interchange station for the crosstown LRT, this intersection will be going through major changes in the next few years.

It's crazy to see all these changes considering I've lived walking distance away from the intersection all my life. It was pretty busy and big before when I was a kid but it's quickly becoming on par with downtown.

It's crazy to see all these changes considering I've lived walking distance away from the intersection all my life. It was pretty busy and big before when I was a kid but it's quickly becoming on par with downtown.

I've worked at Yonge & Eg for a couple of years, and recently moved here as well. I like that there's a mix of beautiful Edwardian and other 1900-1950s houses on small dense lots, apartment buildings and newer condos. I like the mix of low-rise, mid-rise and high-rise of various ages & styles.

Despite some issues like the abandoned bus barns (to be used for LRT TBM launch/extraction) and the previously mentioned dead-zone, the area is very vibrant with lots of pedestrian life. There are lots of interesting restaurants & retail "main streets": north & south of the intersection on Yonge, on Eglinton, Mt Pleasant, Bayview. There are also lots of offices in the area so lots of people working in the area.

Yep its a nice area; My only complaint: I wish there was more variant in terms of restaurants; It is so heavily dominated by Italian focused restaurants. Its funny the strech of Yonge north of Lawrence has really been changing as of late, there are many new restaurants in the area of all sorts of ethnic backgrounds. I wish that happened closer to Yonge and Eglinton.

I also wish more office space would be built (but I don't wager the demand is very high unfortunately). Very much looking forward to e-condo's hope that starts soon !

Yep its a nice area; My only complaint: I wish there was more variant in terms of restaurants; It is so heavily dominated by Italian focused restaurants. Its funny the strech of Yonge north of Lawrence has really been changing as of late, there are many new restaurants in the area of all sorts of ethnic backgrounds. I wish that happened closer to Yonge and Eglinton.

I also wish more office space would be built (but I don't wager the demand is very high unfortunately). Very much looking forward to e-condo's hope that starts soon !

I agree, one thing I miss about living on Bay St were the ramen, Korean & sushi restaurants. I'm thinking that I'll need to go north or south to get my fix, although I haven't tried them all in midtown yet.

Well, not likely before marketing and sales.

I'm going to wager this has a little difficulty getting off the ground, or better put it is going to take time. The market is pretty saturated with condos in the early sales stages and presales.

Do mind my spelling:
We have 88 Erskine / Redpath / E-condos / the one just a block north on Yonge - on top of that condos under construction (e.g. the Madison / Minto / Brewick). So I think it may be years before this actually gets off the ground.

Yeah, not to be a spelling cop but 88 is spelled 101.

Cheers!

This is going to the OMB

I've worked at Yonge & Eg for a couple of years, and recently moved here as well. I like that there's a mix of beautiful Edwardian and other 1900-1950s houses on small dense lots, apartment buildings and newer condos. I like the mix of low-rise, mid-rise and high-rise of various ages & styles.

Despite some issues like the abandoned bus barns (to be used for LRT TBM launch/extraction) and the previously mentioned dead-zone, the area is very vibrant with lots of pedestrian life. There are lots of interesting restaurants & retail "main streets": north & south of the intersection on Yonge, on Eglinton, Mt Pleasant, Bayview. There are also lots of offices in the area so lots of people working in the area.

Since you brought it up, Bayview south of Eglinton has intensified in terms of retail and restaurants nowadays. When I was growing up in early 2000's, Yonge street north of Eglinton the way I remember it reminds me of how Bayview south of Eglinton is today.

I actually lived near Mt. Pleasant and for some reason that street never has had the streetlife that Bayview and Yonge has.

Since you brought it up, Bayview south of Eglinton has intensified in terms of retail and restaurants nowadays. When I was growing up in early 2000's, Yonge street north of Eglinton the way I remember it reminds me of how Bayview south of Eglinton is today.

I actually lived near Mt. Pleasant and for some reason that street never has had the streetlife that Bayview and Yonge has.

hmm I'll argue Bayview has been pretty well established for years now ! The retail goes through a lot of turnover but its been there for a very long time, and yes is typically busy - particularly on a summer weekend ... Hollywood Gelato anyone ?? I'd say among the best in the city ; - )

I actually like My. Pleasant a lot ! There is a lot of interesting retail (and 2 old movie theaters !) but yes its not as busy pedestrian wise.

Eglinton W (i.e. around Avenue) is also very nice

There's a good selection of Asian restaurants around Yonge&Eg. Quite a few sushi places, we used to go to Echo Sushi (closer to Davisville) all the time back in high school. Not necessarily notable but it was reasonable AYCE sushi, there's definitely a lot nearby though. There's been some good quality Izakaya's that have opened recently like Sake Bar Kushi and Fin Izakaya.

The Mandarin has been a midtown institution for years, and also other Canadianized Chinese places around. Should also be some Thai & Indian places as well. Copacabana has great Brazilian food.

Last edited:
There's a good selection of Asian restaurants around Yonge&Eg. Quite a few sushi places, we used to go to Echo Sushi (closer to Davisville) all the time back in high school. Not necessarily notable but it was reasonable AYCE sushi, there's definitely a lot nearby though. There's been some good quality Izakaya's that have opened recently like Sake Bar Kushi and Fin Izakaya.

The Mandarin has been a midtown institution for years, and also other Canadianized Chinese places around. Should also be some Thai & Indian places as well. Copacabana has great Brazilian food.

Not enough variety for my liking : - ) ... and the 2 AYCE sushi places are gone : ( [though there are many nearby if you are willing to venture a little further].

BTW I agree Copacabana is great, one of the best Brazilians steakhouses I've ever been too (they are expanding downtown as well btw) ... I find it a lot better then many American chains everyone covets (argg, trying to recall the name - I've been to it ... their were rumors they were expanding into Canada

Back