Developer didn’t even try with this one.
Surprised and disappointed that the city allowed this with the older building onsite al all the hundred year old trees that will be gone
Yes we need new housing but there are many many examples of how heritage preservation for new development has been done well all over the city

When do you guys think construction could potentially begin, considering that they're still in the negotiation process?

Artistry-Condos-Image-Rendering-Building.jpg

They didn't even hide that it will be signature G+C window wall/spandrelfest. And is that trim moiré or is it intentional?

Still going to be a spandrel-encrusted Aqua-lite monstrosity.

Jeanne Gang's Aqua? You're generous with even giving it 'lite' - it's like the love-child of 365 and DesignHaus.

AoD

Last edited:
I don't actually mind the tower design concept. But - it's G+C so the concept is going to be absolutely bungled beyond belief with crappy material choices and awful spandrel with a side of three million mullions.

The podium on the other hand is terrible in concept and will surely be worse in execution.

I don't actually mind the tower design concept. But - it's G+C so the concept is going to be absolutely bungled beyond belief with crappy material choices and awful spandrel with a side of three million mullions.

The podium on the other hand is terrible in concept and will surely be worse in execution.
*It's the developer that drives cost targets and material efficiencies* G&C designs to what the client orders. If construction can only cost X dollars, then the design choices will reflect that budget.

Personally i think a fritted glass on the balconies would do wonders here to strongly contrast the brick base, and hide the spandrel.

*It's the developer that drives cost targets and material efficiencies* G&C designs to what the client orders. If construction can only cost X dollars, then the design choices will reflect that budget.

Personally i think a fritted glass on the balconies would do wonders here to strongly contrast the brick base, and hide the spandrel.
Yes, budget is an important factor. But firm is just as important. There are plenty of firms that are able to meet the tight budgets of most developers and create an acceptable end product. architectsAlliance, Hariri Pontarini, KPMB, Zeidler, CORE, and many, many more produce good-looking buildings probably 75% of the time. It also depends on how much each firm is willing to sacrifice design to meet budget constraints. Different firms have different tolerance levels for "value engineering".

G+C, in my personal design opinion, has done this only twice - J Davis House on Yonge near Davisville, and Lago at Humber Bay Shores. For a firm responsible for designing dozens and dozens of projects around the GTA, two is a very small margin of good design.

I agree with you, though, that nice white fritted balconies (think Stanley Condos) would be the ideal balcony treatment here. It wouldn't save the podium though, just the tower.

Back